Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help identifying US M1 Helmet

Article about: by NunoGTI The shell l apears an original M1 but the paint looks to be vietnam and Thats a vietnam period liner also, not ww2, it looks like 1978? I should preface this by saying I already h

Default Need help identifying US M1 Helmet

I think I have correctly identified this helmet (from the attic, not sure how long it's been there - grandfather served in WWII, it was amongst his things) as a US M1 Steel Helmet.
    What I cannot track down anywhere is any reference to what is printed on the headband inside: it says
    HEADBAND HELMET then 2 rows of numbers preceded by DLA then a fourth row
    JEWISH GUILD BUND
    The 'outer helmet' is olive green and rough to the touch
    The 'inner' helmet has printed on it
    INNER HELMET GROUND
    TROOPS TYPE 1
    NSN some numbers
    DSA some numbers

I know I'm not a collector but thought these forums the best place to come for information. I hope that's okay. I'd be grateful for any information or comment. Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help identifying US M1 Helmet   Need help identifying US M1 Helmet  

Default Re: Need help identifying US M1 Helmet

The shell l apears an original M1 but the paint looks to be vietnam and Thats a vietnam period liner also, not ww2, it looks like 1978?

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    The shell l apears an original M1 but the paint looks to be vietnam and Thats a vietnam period liner also, not ww2, it looks like 1978?
    Ah, thank you. Really appreciate the detailed and prompt reply.
    I just assumed it was WWII because it was with the WWII stuff (a pre-war Third Reich plate etc.)

Are you able to tell me about the Jewish Guild Bund reference?

?

as NunoGTI said the liner band is date 1978 the complete helmet is a late 70's to early 80's US M-1 the last part printed on the liner band is the maker i have 77 dated one with the maker STEINBURG BRO INC printed in the same area.

Quote by NickD View Post
    as NunoGTI said the liner band is date 1978 the complete helmet is a late 70's to early 80's US M-1 the last part printed on the liner band is the maker i have 77 dated one with the maker STEINBURG BRO INC printed in the same area.
    Nick is the true expert on the M1`S, he can provide complete information on M1 helmets.
    About the jewish guild bund reference, i cant help, sorry.
    Maybe someone else in the forum.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

What a great forum! You guys have been really helpful, thank you.
    Of course I'm now wondering where granddad got it, but think it may have been a gift (long story).

Many thanks for the fast and detailed replies.

NCA
    ?

Are you sure it isnt 'Jewish guild(for the) Blind'?That would be the makers of the headband.The helmet its self could be a ww2 vintage that was resprayed.Are there any numbers on the inside front?

The M1 was issued into the 80's where it was replaced with P.A.S.G.T. helmet.

You're right - it is 'Blind' not 'Bund' .
    There are no numbers inside front of the outer part of the helmet.
    The only numbers I can see are on the inner part, inside right side as follows (the last line is harder to make out so may have errors).

LINER, HELMET, GROUND
    TROOPS, TYPE 1
    NSN 8470-00-93S-6843
    DSA JOG -75-G-1920
    (I'm particularly uncertain about the J and the G)

and then closer to the rim -2-

That's all I can see.

?

have a look here Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell as to what NCA is talking about as allot of WW2 shells were reissued way after the end of the war but i don't believe this is the case with yours. there should whats called the heat stamp number to the front of the inside of the shell around the peak area if the shell is of 1940's production then its possible to give a rough date of manufacture.

Quote by NickD View Post
    have a look here Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell as to what NCA is talking about as allot of WW2 shells were reissued way after the end of the war but i don't believe this is the case with yours. there should whats called the heat stamp number to the front of the inside of the shell around the peak area if the shell is of 1940's production then its possible to give a rough date of manufacture.
    Thank you for the link
    Sadly, there is no heat stamp that I can see on the inside of the shell, so I guess that confirms it is not WWII, especially as the liner is from the Vietnam period.
    The chin strap loop is 'moveable' not rigid.
    My grandfather was in Germany 1945/46, stationed in an area where there were also a lot of US forces; I remember him telling me about the fabulous food they had (a whole chicken in a tin) things like that. So I guess I'd hoped it was a souveneir from then.
    As it's Vietnamese era then I'm assuming it was bought by my late uncle from an Army Surplus shop or similar, and has no real family connection, which is disappointing.
    You have been very kind to take the trouble to help me identify it; I very much appreciate it. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast