Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need Help U.S. M1 ?

Article about: In October 1944 the rim material changed from stainless to the same steel that the helmets were made from (Hadfield Maganese). Evidently, for some unknown reason, at the same time, the weld

Default Need Help U.S. M1 ?

I got this helmet at an auction with what was said was an ammo tin if possible i would like to know the year of the ammo tin and the helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help U.S. M1 ?   Need Help U.S. M1 ?  

Need Help U.S. M1 ?   Need Help U.S. M1 ?  

Need Help U.S. M1 ?  

?

Default Re: Need Help U.S. M1 ?

I can't comment on the tin, however the helmet is Vietnam era or later.

thanks

The M-1 is post Vienam judging by the chin strap, think that was the very last variation before the M-1's were replaced in the mid-80's. No idea about the tin.

ok i thought the chinstrap was later and what would the value be, would it have seen any combat.

?

It has some wear and tear, but doesn't seem to be combat related. I would take a guess and say it saw no combat use, but hard to confirm that.

As for value, seeing as it is missing it's liner, has later style chinstraps and the condition of it, I'd say $10-$20...

Is that a rear seam stainless steel rim or is it white paint marks ? if it is that’s a new one to me!
    I thought only manganese steel rimed helmets had there seams at the rear. Stainless at the front.
    Please enlighten me someone.
    Rod

Hi,
    i would say Nam or just later going by the low crown on the helmet, and the apple green colour.
    dave.

?

Quote by plumbob View Post
    Is that a rear seam stainless steel rim or is it white paint marks ? if it is that’s a new one to me!
    I thought only manganese steel rimed helmets had there seams at the rear. Stainless at the front.
    Please enlighten me someone.
    Rod
    This would be incorrect. They did produce rear seam M1's with a stainless steel rim I believe from 1943 until the end of the war. Someone can correct me though if my dates are wrong..

Hi,
    You are right the rear seam swivel bale come out in late war, and saw action through the korean war and Vienam,
    that was the original design with the high crown. Then they designed the M1 with the lower crown i think within the Vienam period. this shell would be nice with a good liner added.
    dave.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast