Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

need some help with this M1

Article about: So I picked this up on ebay for 100usd. Its a front seam swivel bail, but I gotta admit it seems too good to be true. I have my suspicions it's fake, but I have seen some others that look ve

Default need some help with this M1

So I picked this up on ebay for 100usd. Its a front seam swivel bail, but I gotta admit it seems too good to be true. I have my suspicions it's fake, but I have seen some others that look very similar. If anybody could identify if this has been repainted or if it's original that would be great!

I also believe the chin strap is post war, could use some more info. As the pictures show the paint is in very nice condition, and makes me think it's been repainted. No idea though
    need some help with this M1 need some help with this M1 need some help with this M1need some help with this M1need some help with this M1need some help with this M1need some help with this M1need some help with this M1need some help with this M1

Hello,

I am not sure how it was advertised so it is hard to comment what you feel is the 'fake' issue. In its current configuration it is certainly not a WWII helmet. It could perhaps be a MP-used helmet. Or a put-together helmet given a modern paint-job. All components appear original, albeit from different eras. I believe the 554 Military Police Company were stationed in Germany in 1964.

A WW2 shell and liner with late 1960's/70's chinstraps (anchor) and most likely sweatband (note the OD band in the liner).The shell appears to have retained it's original texture or corking but has been re-painted post WWII and perhaps it's even a bit too fresh for Vietnam era (compared to examples I have seen). An interesting paint on the liner, is it black?

My concern is that it's not authentic. The seller told me he doesn't know anything about militaria and that he bought it at an estate sale alongside with an MP belt and holster. Given those circumstances I took a chance, but I prefer to have authentic pieces and not "thrown together" helmets. And yes, the liner is painted black
    need some help with this M1need some help with this M1

As stated original but messed with, shell has had a repaint and the liner has some post war parts added, try to find the shell heastamp number and the liner maker, a quick search on the forum will show you to do this.

?

"Given those circumstances I took a chance, but I prefer to have authentic pieces and not "thrown together" helmets. "

I think that you have answered your own question mate , live by the sword, die by the sword

Cheers Rick

I wouldn't overthink this one too much, since it's not terribly surprising to see a mix of parts from different eras on an M1. It's also not surprising to see a fresh-looking MP helmet, since they were pretty spit-and-polish. I had a similar MP helmet that had been repainted so many times that the weight was noticeably heavier than a regular M1.