Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Odd M1 liners

Article about: I have 2 odd M1 helmet liners. I was digging in my closet to see what manufacturers they were and noticed one says US then 4W under it then M11 inside the crown. It looks as though maybe it

?

Default Odd M1 liners

I have 2 odd M1 helmet liners. I was digging in my closet to see what manufacturers they were and noticed one says US then 4W under it then M11 inside the crown. It looks as though maybe it was a reject converted into a toy? The other has post Korean webbing perhaps Vietnam but no marking at all. Did the US make liners with no markings? It has the correct webbing with nape. Please judge.Odd M1 linersOdd M1 linersOdd M1 linersOdd M1 linersOdd M1 linersOdd M1 liners

Default Re: Odd M1 liners

Quote by denfly View Post
    I have 2 odd M1 helmet liners. I was digging in my closet to see what manufacturers they were and noticed one says US then 4W under it then M11 inside the crown. It looks as though maybe it was a reject converted into a toy? The other has post Korean webbing perhaps Vietnam but no marking at all. Did the US make liners with no markings? It has the correct webbing with nape. Please judge.Odd M1 linersOdd M1 linersOdd M1 linersOdd M1 linersOdd M1 linersOdd M1 liners
    first one looks as if somebody tried to attempt to re-web it but used all the wrong webbing and exterior rivets theater prop maybe? the other one looks genuine and looks WWII that had been re-webbed post-war possibly Korean-era Vietnam like you said, Westinghouse liner I think. Take a magnifying glass and look for stamps in the upper inside dome, it could be a partial. There are liners with no stamps in them this was usually done by mistake or they where done very lightly, See if anybody else has a opinion.

?

Yes,it is a Westinghouse . I looked everywhere for a marking but a very faint circle with a partial W and a D 0 8 above it. The toy looking one has rather smaller rivets and a weak looking webbing. What's puzzling is the lack of nape band attatchment to it. Foreign?

?

The first looks like a factory reject reused and sold as a kids helmet

Quote by denfly View Post
    Yes,it is a Westinghouse . I looked everywhere for a marking but a very faint circle with a partial W and a D 0 8 above it. The toy looking one has rather smaller rivets and a weak looking webbing. What's puzzling is the lack of nape band attatchment to it. Foreign?
    to be honest I don't think I have seen a liner like that before I have seen them with no holes drilled or with out webbing. Its definitely interesting one, could be a foreign put together.

?

Major Tom the first liner is definitely not a foreign liner looking more closely at it. During the 40s defect liners were made into kids helmets this would explain why the chinstrap is so poorly attached

Quote by gel65 View Post
    Major Tom the first liner is definitely not a foreign liner looking more closely at it. During the 40s defect liners were made into kids helmets this would explain why the chinstrap is so poorly attached
    Affirmative on that, I see what your saying, atleast its seen service in gentler playful way Lol!

?

Thanks for the info guys. So toy it is as a rejected M1 liner.