Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Is this an old US helmet net?

Article about: Hello fellow collectors, Could anyone shed some light on this net? Its quite a light shade of OD, almost khaki. It certainly has some age about it. Pretty sure it is of either US or UK issue

Default Is this an old US helmet net?

Hello fellow collectors,

Could anyone shed some light on this net? Its quite a light shade of OD, almost khaki. It certainly has some age about it.

Pretty sure it is of either US or UK issue. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Kind regards,
    Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this an old US helmet net?   Is this an old US helmet net?  

Hello Chris, a Very distinctive weaving pattern. It is a British vehicle cargo camouflage net that has,apparently, been field modified into a helmet net-probably by an American. This was a quite commonly thing done in WWII era. So, to answer your question, yes, it is a British issue item but no, it was not issued as a helmet net! The Brits used a quite different weave for their helmet nettings. Like I said, likely an American field modified piece. Very interesting find!
    Take a look at the netting on this helmet and you'll see what I mean!
    ID'd WW2 Fixed Bale M1 Helmet with British Camouflage Netting
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Hello Chris, a Very distinctive weaving pattern. It is a British vehicle cargo camouflage net that has,apparently, been field modified into a helmet net-probably by an American. This was a quite commonly thing done in WWII era. So, to answer your question, yes, it is a British issue item but no, it was not issued as a helmet net! The Brits used a quite different weave for their helmet nettings. Like I said, likely an American field modified piece. Very interesting find!
    Take a look at the netting on this helmet and you'll see what I mean!
    ID'd WW2 Fixed Bale M1 Helmet with British Camouflage Netting
    Hi Wagriff,

Great info! I appreciate the insight. I had been having no luck identifying this as an issued helmet net. I thought it may be of UK origin so a possible field modification of a cargo net makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the link, strong comparison, mine has been stretched out a hell of a lot and it's a shame it has a few holes in it, but has made a nice salty cover for one of my WWII M1's. May even go on my fixed bale when I find original chinstraps!

Thanks again for your reply.

Kind regards,
    Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this an old US helmet net?  

I was wondering... Does the weave "pattern" match this?

?

Hi Chris, From those pics I would say it is an early woven British helmet net, but would need to see the a few pics of it from the other side.
    There were different makers who had their own weave, but from about 43 maybe early 44 they went over to the string knotted type of net.
    There are also pictures of M1's with Canadian nets on as well
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this an old US helmet net?   Is this an old US helmet net?  

Is this an old US helmet net?   Is this an old US helmet net?  

Is this an old US helmet net?   Is this an old US helmet net?  

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Hi Chris, From those pics I would say it is an early woven British helmet net, but would need to see the a few pics of it from the other side.
    There were different makers who had their own weave, but from about 43 maybe early 44 they went over to the string knotted type of net.
    There are also pictures of M1's with Canadian nets on as well
    G'day Tinlid,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated

I think you may be correct. The weaving of my net is so similar to the first example shown. I thought it could be a stretched cargo net but when on the pot it would appear the diamonds or squares (for want of a better word) are larger in diameter on my example. I have added a pic of the 'bad side' of the net and a close up which show it may well be a early issue British net. Thanks a lot for your input.

Kind regards,
    Chris

Quote by 37Webbing View Post
    I was wondering... Does the weave "pattern" match this?

I would say it's close but not a match.

Kind regards,
    Chris

Quote by christek View Post
    I would say it's close but not a match.

Kind regards,
    Chris
    Thanks!
    I was just wondering if they matched.

?

It does look a bit different, but its always good to see the inside of a net, how the string threads through & if there are two finished edges.
    Here's some pics of M1's being worn by Canadian troops I think, but they are more than likely Canadian issue nets.