Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

An original - a ww2 m1 helmet

Article about: I woke up in a cold sweat. “All of the Fixed Loop Front Seams will be gone from this earth!” I thought. 1 Fixed Loop in my collection wasnt enough. Well ... clearer heads prevailed and I

Default An original - a ww2 m1 helmet

I woke up in a cold sweat. “All of the Fixed Loop Front Seams will be gone from this earth!” I thought. 1 Fixed Loop in my collection wasnt enough. Well ... clearer heads prevailed and I already knew there’s about 20 on eBay at any given time. But all with varying degrees of “Messed With” which is not my thing (But so is the nature of the beast with M1s I feel due to the long serve life they had). So I picked this one up from a dealer (1st time buying an M1 from dealer) for a decent US price. I also received “The Helmets of The ETO”. The foreward by the Veteran gave me chills if anyone has read (About the bunker on the Maginot Line). I have read Mark Reynosas WW2 baseline M1 book as well (w his Post War one on the way as I own a few of those helms too). Sometimes I enjoy the books just as much as the Helms

This “dude” I’m feeling is pretty untouched since the War. I can’t prove this is a “set” like my other WW2 one is. But sure seems to be. I sure as heck did not put it together. And the seller said it was received this from his mates collection who had passed. And had been in his collection since who knows when.

Original cork paint. Darkened from use and time like Orig McCords tend to do more than Schuleters. It’s Missing a significant amount of it. Not a beauty queen (just the way I like them). This one is a Summer of ‘42 manufacture. Nice OD3 straps - on this example they tie around the back. I see what looks like USMC light green thread on there that I’ve seen on other examples on the USMF. It has type ____ fixed loops I believe from reading this forum and some knowledgeable members here. And Has a Raised Brass buckle. Lot number is 255C. There is a laundry number as well but I don’t see a name. B-1760.

It has an Inland Liner (period repaint I assume) which I haven’t had in my collection yet. It comes w what seems like it’s original worn chinstrap in good shape painted green. United Carr stamped on Rivet. Nape strap w maker I am not familar with (In Pics). It has a worn darkened leather sweatband just the way I dig em. And I’m sure there are many other details I am forgetting to mention.

Also comes complete (at no extra charge) with a delightful smell .... that of 80 year old Militaria. I think everyone on this forum knows what I mean

Thanks for looking! All opinions welcome. And have a great day!
    -Zach
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An original - a ww2 m1 helmet   An original - a ww2 m1 helmet  

An original - a ww2 m1 helmet   An original - a ww2 m1 helmet  

Last edited by PaddyD00; 02-24-2021 at 10:19 PM.

Like it! And a mere 85 possible owners!

LOL. I’ll find him! Haha

Do you have more pictures of the green buckle of the chinstrap, it looks painted
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Hi Marty. It is painted .... along time ago. Ill take some snaps tomorrow

EDIT•••• Here you go Marty .... Painted Brass ....'44 patent number on the back. Paint on strap. Field painted replacement perhaps ....

An original - a ww2 m1 helmetAn original - a ww2 m1 helmet
    An original - a ww2 m1 helmetAn original - a ww2 m1 helmet
    Last edited by PaddyD00; 04-27-2020 at 07:20 PM.

MAP
    ?

Missed this Zach. Sorry.

So much nicer than looking at the photos on a cell phone.

Congrats!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice pickup! That inland looks to be in nice condition.

I'm thinking the liner repaint is late 40s to early 50s. The paint looks very similar to a few of my post war used liners.

Quote by nickman983 View Post
    Nice pickup! That inland looks to be in nice condition.

I'm thinking the liner repaint is late 40s to early 50s. The paint looks very similar to a few of my post war used liners.
    Could be Nick. This matches w some KW examples have as well. With WW2 paint to be honest... I have read and I have read and I have read. And there is no real Concenus that I have seen. Real contradictory information. No one is to blame just everyones learned something different. And there was no "standard" that I am aware of either. M1s harder to figure out than the German Lids. Haha. Some of these are "gut" feelings. Regarding this set of Pot and Liner .. nothing else could point to Post War cept that Liner paint. You would think something at least ...some other indicator. A Chinstrap. A buckle but they are all in check (arms up emoji) ... Thanks for looking and your thoughts brotha

Quote by PaddyD00 View Post
    With WW2 paint to be honest... I have read and I have read and I have read. And there is no real Concenus that I have seen. Real contradictory information. No one is to blame just everyones learned something different. And there was no "standard" that I am aware of either.
    Yea, WWII liner paints can be weird. There were standards, but different manufacturers had variations in paint/color and even when looking at one manufacturer their paints change over time. In my collection alone I've had a wide range of liner colors/textures.

If you haven't checked it out yet the book The M-1 Helmet of the World War II GI by Pieter Oosterman has great information on WWII liners and does a pretty good job at showing the various design changes the liners went though.

Quote by PaddyD00 View Post
    Regarding this set of Pot and Liner .. nothing else could point to Post War cept that Liner paint. You would think something at least ...some other indicator. A Chinstrap. A buckle but they are all in check (arms up emoji)
    Not necessarily, as far as the military was concerned a helmet was a helmet so long as nothing was broken. So if nothing was wrong with the liner outside of needing a repaint it would have ben left with its original hardware. For example, my original USMC set consist of all WWII components but I know it was used some time between the mid 50s and early 60s due to the EGA stamp on both sides of the cover.

I'm not trying to be nit picky, just providing some food for thought.

At the end of the day it's still a nice WWII set!

You know Nick. That’s the one book I don’t have. I know it’s a great one. I love reading about M1s and looking at the pictures

Not nit picky at all! Power of the forum mate and love the opinions and the discourse. A Long serviceable life for M1s indeed. I guess my point for sake of discussion is that the chances of something not breaking in a decade since the War ended with this all having the original parts entact. Sways me into putting this into the more “untouched” category. I guess that goes with the “gut” feeling I was describing early. But I defintely don’t know . Just my humble opinion. And experience with these thus far (not extensive LOL).