Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Original ww2 M1 helmet or a good prepared repro? (need help)

Article about: by 155mmhowitzer Jepp, I got very real good Informations about this Helmet, and trust me. That are my pictures the Guy sended. And he didn´t payed 300\\$ for it. Or he bought it from a man in

Default Re: Original ww2 M1 helmet or a good prepared repro? (need help)

Would it not be a two piece nape strap if it was a fiftys liner. please correct me if im wrong.
    Then again it could be a clone
    Rod

Hi,

For me, the liner & the shell looks good. OK the captain bars increase the price, but 300$ is too high.
    Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

?

Personally i would want a hell of a lot more provenance on this piece before i even considered parting with money, but to me something doesnt feel right about this lid

?

well for what its worth IMO as already been stated $300 is way to high for an M-1 in that condition unless it comes with rock solid proof that it was indeed found in the Ardennes area & was used during The Battle of the Bulge then there'll always be doubt on this helmet & you'll never make that money back as they say buy the item not the story so it's really up to you do you think its worth shelling out $300 on it ?

I agree with what others have said. Helmets with post-WWII liners, and especially in that condition, are not worth $300.

I got so caught up in the "story" I didn't even notice the OD webbing....post war for sure. After taking a second "closer" look, the liner chin strap does not seem to match the condition of the post war liner either IMO. As what might bring value to this M-1 is the story, seems it has too many holes in it.
    Last edited by MySonsDad; 02-06-2012 at 03:13 PM.

On quick glance, the webbing looks khaki to me... it looks like it's just soiled by the same grime that's coating the dome on the inside of the liner...

?

the liner is WW2 its just the condition of the liner & the quality of the picture makes it look a darker green then it is.

Hi! and thanks a lot for your comments again, very useful!

I talked with the seller again, asking for more info, he told me that the helmet was found in a farm in Houffalize St.Vith in 1977 -78 (don't know if is relevant or what...) the seller is from Aachen, he says that the inner has never been touched or cleaned, because all his items are just in the same state that have been found/bought.

The manufacturer is westinghouse (if this would be truth, the liner would be original right? how can we proof this?)

He told that "true collectors will recognize the helmet as real. Otherwise, you are welcome to conduct an analysis" and says 100% original, not a repro, a couple times in the description.

Other thing that i don't know if it could be relevant, is the marks in the nape part (7th photo) what they are?

the final price (negotiating a lot with it) is 260$ (or 200€)

You are very right when say: buy the helmet, not the story (or seller stories). I think that i'm going to buy it for 260$, unless we see a solid proof of fake (depend of you )

once again thank you very much for your great help!!

?

well that is your choice but as far as im concerned there are two things going against it possible fake captain bars & story ? for €200 all you'll have is a semi relic M-1 with a flimsy story !

the markings on the nape strap are just the makers stamp & the liner chin strap is either not original to this helmet or its been cleaned & treated as it looks well out of place compared to the rest of the lid ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast