Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Painted Naval Fixed Bale M1 Helmet - Aviation Ordnance Man Third Class

Article about: Here is one that I have had for about 10 years, a painted front seam fixed bale M1, worn by a Naval Aviation Ordnance Man Third Class. The shell has the rank designation on both sides, "

Default Painted Naval Fixed Bale M1 Helmet - Aviation Ordnance Man Third Class

Here is one that I have had for about 10 years, a painted front seam fixed bale M1, worn by a Naval Aviation Ordnance Man Third Class. The shell has the rank designation on both sides, "AOM 3/C" on the back, and a unit designation on the front - "91 V7", but I haven't been able to determine definitively what the "91" and the "V7" mean. I did a little internet research and from what I found the "V7" may have meant the Mate was assigned to a PBY or a Catalina crew, but "V7" may also have been associated with a Midshipman Officers Candidate. The liner is original to the piece, and has the unit designation on the front as well. The clothe chevron was with the piece when I bought it, and the seller told me that it was with the helmet when he acquired it, but I can't say it was actually the Mate's patch. I can't read the heat stamp on the front of the shell, but have included a picture for those of you with more knowledge about the US M1. The piece isn't named, but the liner has a number written on the webbing that looks like 11169417. I have never seen a similar piece, but I am very comfortable with it and certainly believe the markings to be completely period done. Hope you like it. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Painted Naval Fixed Bale M1 Helmet - Aviation Ordnance Man Third Class   Painted Naval Fixed Bale M1 Helmet - Aviation Ordnance Man Third Class  

Painted Naval Fixed Bale M1 Helmet - Aviation Ordnance Man Third Class   Painted Naval Fixed Bale M1 Helmet - Aviation Ordnance Man Third Class  

Painted Naval Fixed Bale M1 Helmet - Aviation Ordnance Man Third Class   Painted Naval Fixed Bale M1 Helmet - Aviation Ordnance Man Third Class  

Beautiful set Jim,I luv it,simply has everything in an historical Helmet,awesome stuff and thanks for sharing yet another top quality piece from your never ending collection................

?

The rate is Aviation Ordnance man. Good Navy helmets are hard to find. Aviation marked helmets are very rare.

I like it!
    Great score