Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Parachute Helmet Cover?

Article about: I've had this cover for a few years now. I bought it for £5 back when I first started WW2 re-enacting. Because of the low price I thought it was likely just a mass produced repro and stuck i

?

Default Parachute Helmet Cover?

I've had this cover for a few years now. I bought it for £5 back when I first started WW2 re-enacting. Because of the low price I thought it was likely just a mass produced repro and stuck it on a euro clone shell but since I started properly taking an interest in collecting M1 helmets a few months ago I recently took a look online to see if i could find a similar one somewhere and found a couple of long dead ebay listings and not much on any forums aside from a mention of something that sounded similar. It's professionally put together and the silk material is the same on the inside. It lacks the ripstop texture that a lot of parachute material pieces tend to have. Is anyone here familiar with these?

Parachute Helmet Cover?

^Top

Parachute Helmet Cover?

^Material detail

Parachute Helmet Cover?

^Underside

best regards, Ryan

MAP
    ?

Just want to be sure. Are you asking if it might be WW2 era?

There are some good guys here that collect more modern helmets and might be able to give you a more educated answer as to what it might be. I can just say that is not US WW2/Korean/Vietnam era.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Honestly, I'm just unsure as to which country manufactured it and when. I posted it here because when i bought the cover it was sold to me as an M1 helmet cover specifically. The fabric and pattern of the cover is consistent with some WW2 examples i have seen (non-ripstop as seen in these examples: US camo parachute scarf ) which is what threw it into question for me in the first place. I'd just like to know what it really is that I have on my hands, not necessarily whether it's WW2 era or not.

Isn't the material supposed to be made from silk ,98% sure no helmet cover made in this pattern. closest to my knowledge would be the USMC mosquito net cover
    Last edited by reneblacky; 11-24-2015 at 07:30 AM. Reason: added pic

?

The material of the cover is silk. I have one of those Mosquito covers also and the material feels very different. The lighting wasn't great when i took the pictures which might be making the colours look a lot more contrasted than they are to the naked eye. As mentioned in my last post, the material looks to be the same type as the example of parachute silk in the first set of pictures here: US camo parachute scarf.

Best regards, Ryan.

MAP
    ?

Here is a WW2/Korean War era cover and also a 1960's vietnam era cover. Although yours might have been made to fit an M1 (or M1 clone) its not a match to either the Ww2/Korean or Vietnam examples. I think it is just a repro IMHO but could be a modern manufacture by another country for their M1 clones.

I think member James C would be able to help if he sees this thread.

M1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover Help

M1 - Vietnam Era?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hello,

Not much to add.

I have never seen one. Who knows, there are so many M1 clones.

I am also of the opinion it is not US military.

Perhaps its a reenactment repro of a WWII parachute helmet cover?

Or perhaps not even designed for a M1 style shell at all. The elastic looks quite tight and the stitching threads appear to be loosening from stretching. Thinking out loud here

Cheers

I'd check to see if there are Asian affiliations.
    Not like any US cover I've seen. Looks like
    it's made of rayon.........
    Regards,

Steve.