Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help identify these 2 m1 helmets

Article about: ok both M-1s are US made dating from the 1960's onwards as Steve said the first one has the late 70's onwards type chin strap the second one has the NAM era chin strap. the first cover is a

Default Please help identify these 2 m1 helmets

I know these are not WWII issue helmets or liners but can you please help identify them for me.
    I would like to know:
    1. What era are the covers from - Vietnam or later? 60s 70s 80s?
    2. What era are the pots from?
    3. What era are the liners from and any info on them?
    I know the one liner from Helmet A is from the early 50s (Korean War era) because the liner is marked CAPAC & Westinghouse.
    This is all I know.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Anton

First we have Helmet A with liner. The chinstrap on the pot on this helmet is unusual (not known to me).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help identify these 2 m1 helmets   Please help identify these 2 m1 helmets  

Please help identify these 2 m1 helmets   Please help identify these 2 m1 helmets  

Please help identify these 2 m1 helmets   Please help identify these 2 m1 helmets  

Please help identify these 2 m1 helmets  

Default Re: Please help identify these 2 m1 helmets

Here is helmet B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help identify these 2 m1 helmets   Please help identify these 2 m1 helmets  

These are 1970's helmets, IMO.

- Shell 'A' has replacement 70's/80's type 'clip-on' chinstrap with chin cup.
    - Liner 'A' is earlier but could have been re-issued, or it's not original to the shell it is in.
    - Liner 'B' reads: '27 OCT (19)72' on the webbing as shown.
    - Covers are '79 and '83.

What I would do though, is swap the liners, if they fit into each of the
    other shells. Shell 'A' has the earlier 'clamp-on' chinstrap which
    would suit the earlier liner.........

Liners with decals are very cool. I love the sergeant stripes !
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 11-21-2011 at 05:47 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

The first liner appears to have a CAPAC marking on the inside whom I belived stopped making liners at wars end in 1945. The second liner is clearlyu stamped 1972 so no mystery there.

?

the liner in the first one is a 1950's version & this is info on the decals on the sides 5th Field Artillery Regiment (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nick, Once again I find my self scratching my head and wanting to learn more about how you ID some of these items and looking for some instruction! I know the first liner OD webbing is late and post war liner change but I was under the impression that CAPAC did not make liners after wars end? Do I need to correct my notes AGAIN! Bare with me, I'm learning...... Thanks for the help, Russ

I knew that Liner A is a 50s liner because it was made by CAPAC/Westinghouse.
    But for liner B, is there any significance to M26 stamped inside the liner?
    Also, what about the pots? Are they are US made? Any idea when they were made?
    Lastly, what about the covers? Anyone know when they were made?
    Are they Korean War era, Vietnam or 80s helmet covers?

NCA
    ?

The covers are late 70's and early 80's.See post number 3.
    The M26 probably refers to the mould number.As for the shells as far as i can see they look US..when made?..70's..80's..

?

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    Nick, Once again I find my self scratching my head and wanting to learn more about how you ID some of these items and looking for some instruction! I know the first liner OD webbing is late and post war liner change but I was under the impression that CAPAC did not make liners after wars end? Do I need to correct my notes AGAIN! Bare with me, I'm learning...... Thanks for the help, Russ
    MODEL 1951/1952 LINER

Manufactured by both Capac and Westinghouse (Micarta Division only) these M-1 helmet liners are identical to the WWII liner except that the internal HBT cloth is a dark green olive drab #7. These liners are identified by two types of manufacturer stamps, on set of "W" and "CAPAC" are embossed into the crown and the other is an ink stamp of the word "MICARTA" that is attached to the interior of the liner.

Once gain, thanks Nick for the eduction. I will add this to my M-1 notes. I have it written the CAPAC did not make liners after 1945.

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast