Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

possible hidden insignia under repaint

Article about: hello, so i was looking arounf at some fixed bales and saw this helmet that seemed to have an insignia painted over on the back. i wanted to know if by looking at it, it had a chance of bein

Default possible hidden insignia under repaint

hello, so i was looking arounf at some fixed bales and saw this helmet that seemed to have an insignia painted over on the back. i wanted to know if by looking at it, it had a chance of being real or was a decal painted over
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture possible hidden insignia under repaint   possible hidden insignia under repaint  

I would pass on this.
    ranger helmets are super rare .
    I have only seen 2 original ones.
    This looks like a kid did it just not good.
    chris

Agreed-very crude job...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Seems to risky the paint looks fresh, better off to save your money for something that you know is real

I would highly doubt it.

Guys, looking at the first photo you can see a ghost of what I assume he has drawn on the picture of the helmet with his computer. I don't think the yellow diamond and red 2 are actually on the helmet, they appear to be digitally added to the picture to show what he means??

In the 1st photo, yes-you can, indeed, see a diamond and a 2 inside of it. Regardless, though, I would not attempt any paint removal. It was officially painted over and any attempt to remove it would only end up ruining it anyway!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

if its not an over painted fake decal some fakers are going down this route these days as well or it maybe an old over painted re-enacters helmet ??

The green looks like a repaint to me but I can not be sure without better pics.
    If it is, then no harm in stripping it to see what is under it.
    It does look like a ranger's diamond and a number 2.
    Frankly though, I would doubt that it is authentic anyway.

The paint does look new, and the wear on the rims might have been artificially done for a reenactor, hence the painted over (reenactment) insignia.

One can't be for sure on items like this, if you feel intrigued enough to find out, then go for it. Yes, Ranger helmets are very rare; and yes, there is a possibility of it being a fake/for a reenactor, but you just never know.