Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Possible rare m1

Article about: Hello again, I was searching around on ebay and found this helmet that is said to be front a membe roof the 101st. It has 3 medic panels and a glider circle On the side. The seller has a lot

Default Possible rare m1

Hello again, I was searching around on ebay and found this helmet that is said to be front a membe roof the 101st. It has 3 medic panels and a glider circle On the side. The seller has a lot of evidence to support that it is. The straps are early with brass and the snaps for paratrooper. It has almost no stainless area. Is it real? I can't believe everything I see but it looks good and he just put this up for bid after asking for over $1000. If you want to see the evidence or more pictures look for it on ebay. Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible rare m1   Possible rare m1  

Possible rare m1   Possible rare m1  

Possible rare m1   Possible rare m1  

Default Re: Possible rare m1

Everyone was in the 506.
    I love airborne stuff but not this one.
    chris

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Everyone was in the 506.
    I love airborne stuff but not this one.
    chris
    Well obviously they won the war alone.

I would be inclined it follow Chris's view on this one. Lookes like some one has tried to dress it up.
    Morris

I don't like it either, but I did find the posting on ebay. Here it is, up for auction. It has got some people interested, unfortunately. WW2 Original US Paratrooper Airborne Medic Helmet RARE Painted Decals Real | eBay

It seems to me that the seller is trying "too hard" to convince of it's authenticity. It reads as follows:

"Up for auction is an gauranteed original WW2 Airborne Paratrooper Medic Helmet with no liner. There are many questionable painted helmets out there and I am alway leary of them online. You can bid on this with confidence.The hardware is brass with the correct patina for its age. There is no liner. The Helmet has 3 medic panels on it with an airborne glider emblem under one of the panels. There is a partial number in black paint on the inside of helmet. It looks like " 2111699" but I cant be certain. I have become a collector of paratrooper and normandy head gear and equipment and the only reason I am selling this is so I can get something I've always want and finally found. I feel its up to the seller to prove the authenticity of the helmet as apposed to the buyer who prays its real. I got this helmet from an container auction. In that container I found documents that led to me contacting the original owners family. Unfortanatly all i could get out of the family was that it belonged to a captian B. J. Ryan from the 506 Para. Inf. in the 101st airborne. In futher research i learned he died in 2005 and was a Medical doctor in New York. The Only thing that doesnt match up is the paraglider insigne on the helmet. The 101st usually wouldnt have that on it. But there is no way to tell know if he switched helmets, possibly lost his original in combat or what. I cant prove for certian if he was a medic but he did grauate med school in 1940. Its makes sensce that he would be a medic. Further more I've brought this shell to sevral friends that collect and all say positve things about its authenticity. I've also brought this to the labratory at my job in which my close friend works in forensics for one of the largest police forces in the country. He has tested may helmets paint contents for me in some of my aquisitions. The Paint on the red and white of the medics symbols is consistant of paint used in the 1930's to late 1940's. The paint on the glider symbol is also consitant in the same manner. There are many additives in newer paints that isint in older paints and the older paint has higher lead traces. I even had him compare the stitching in the chinstraps attatched to the bales and the thread used is consistant with the stitching in another of my paratrooper liners. He even analysed them under a microscope.This helmet is striaght out of the wood work and as far as I know im the second owner.This is an origial paratrooper helmet shell and a magnificent piece of history. I realy dont want to let it go but I must. Feel free to ask any questions. I will ship any to any country. Shipping to Europe will be aroung 37.00."

I'm stumped, he's really done a good job of making me feel like he himself is confused. Either way, this is confusing me.

Yeah, but the price seams to high for me