Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Post Vietnam M1-C

Article about: Hi Fellow Collectors. I thought you might like to see this M1-C from my collection for discussion, I believe this one dates from 1974 due the stamp on the webbing ?.The Erdl cover has a very

?

Quote by James C View Post
    thats a real nice example opex,i dont think ive ever seen such a rough texture before ,thanks for sharing

Many thanks for the compliments James, she is a rough one for sure, here's another picture of the texture

Post Vietnam M1-C

?

A little update, I have shown this one before ,but it did not have the correct Para chinstraps, so I sourced some and with great diificulty fitted them and here is the result. I did not realise/forgot until I took the cover off that the shell has many stress fractures, which I always assumed was more of a WW2 shell feature, anyway here she is

Post Vietnam M1-C
    Post Vietnam M1-C
    Post Vietnam M1-C
    Post Vietnam M1-C
    Post Vietnam M1-C
    Post Vietnam M1-C
    Post Vietnam M1-C
    Post Vietnam M1-C

?

These Vietnam era M1C's have become one of my all time favorite lids love seeing them complete like these two, In good condition as well and they are getting real difficult to find in any condition. Well done Opex! Cheers, Sean.

?

Quote by seandm View Post
    These Vietnam era M1C's have become one of my all time favorite lids love seeing them complete like these two, In good condition as well and they are getting real difficult to find in any condition. Well done Opex! Cheers, Sean.

Thank you very much Sean, I know you are a real fan of this particular type so know you appreciate it. And you are right these are getting to be fairly scarce, in fact I believe there is one on UK ebay right now and the asking price is very steep, but I guess worth it due to the scarcity of these Helmets. I think from memory I paid about £ 28.00 for this one, but as it never had the correct chinstraps as mentioned, I had to buy these separately from a seller based in Canada. And what a faff it was fitting the things too, I had no idea how tricky it would be. Fortunately I had the other one to compare too.

One day I would like to recreate the look of the film We were Soldiers, and get the uniform to match one of these Helmets....but that will have to wait until I win the lottery

Thanks for looking and for your support as ever Sean,much appreciated Buddy

?

Quote by Opex View Post
    Thank you very much Sean, I know you are a real fan of this particular type so know you appreciate it. And you are right these are getting to be fairly scarce, in fact I believe there is one on UK ebay right now and the asking price is very steep, but I guess worth it due to the scarcity of these Helmets. I think from memory I paid about £ 28.00 for this one, but as it never had the correct chinstraps as mentioned, I had to buy these separately from a seller based in Canada. And what a faff it was fitting the things too, I had no idea how tricky it would be. Fortunately I had the other one to compare too.

One day I would like to recreate the look of the film We were Soldiers, and get the uniform to match one of these Helmets....but that will have to wait until I win the lottery

Thanks for looking and for your support as ever Sean,much appreciated Buddy
    No worries friend! Wowww! £28 if only they were still in that price range regardless of bits missing lol. I wonder... Did you get your chinstrap brand new from a seller in canada, Surplus ebay store? That's were I got mine to finish of my minty condition M1C. If I remember right I also got a mint unissued chin cup and 72 dated sweatband. The chinstraps are indeed just a bit fiddly to fix on. My biggest issue was getting the length of the tab correct before I clamped the steel fitting so that it snapped into the liner once fitted to the swivel bale. I actually prefer these Nam and post Nam M1C's to their WW2 counterparts now. The last thing I need to finish my minty one is a mint original cover as I have a repro on it at the minute but I can look for one of those another time. I would love to see a display like that Opex but same here lottery winnings first! Cheers, Sean.

Hi Gary are these the new old stock types on ebay which were from the early 80's?glad you managed to put them on ok,I've done a few and for anyone who hasn't tried those locking tabs are a bit tricky,Bet the shell is a RJ STAMPINGS?...............

?

Hi Jake! I think mine might be 80's stock as well, It doesnt bother me but wondering if you can tell me? the hardware is marked P and it has an ink mark on the right strap near the shell LOT 09. Cheers, Sean.

?

Quote by seandm View Post
    No worries friend! Wowww! £28 if only they were still in that price range regardless of bits missing lol. I wonder... Did you get your chinstrap brand new from a seller in canada, Surplus ebay store? That's were I got mine to finish of my minty condition M1C. If I remember right I also got a mint unissued chin cup and 72 dated sweatband. The chinstraps are indeed just a bit fiddly to fix on. My biggest issue was getting the length of the tab correct before I clamped the steel fitting so that it snapped into the liner once fitted to the swivel bale. I actually prefer these Nam and post Nam M1C's to their WW2 counterparts now. The last thing I need to finish my minty one is a mint original cover as I have a repro on it at the minute but I can look for one of those another time. I would love to see a display like that Opex but same here lottery winnings first! Cheers, Sean.

Hi Sean, the outlay for this one was cheap but to be fair I did get it few years back ( 2006 ?) , and yes that's the seller he sell's a lot of M1 kit on ebay, very cheap and worry free shopping!

I can totally relate to the fixing of the chinstraps, I think I tried quite a few times to get the tab the right length and I still think one side is longer than the other..oh well I don't have the patience for these things really!

I saw a Mitchell cover on ebay recently and it went quite cheap,so they do pop up occasionally. Last year I sold a Mitchell on ebay for the grand sum of £3.00, I was absolutely gutted with the rubbish price it went for and my own naivety and stupidity. I have since learned from that tragic mistake!!

Thanks again buddy

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Hi Gary are these the new old stock types on ebay which were from the early 80's?glad you managed to put them on ok,I've done a few and for anyone who hasn't tried those locking tabs are a bit tricky,Bet the shell is a RJ STAMPINGS?...............

Hi Jake, yes they are NOS and assume they are 80's issue, and were a blinking nightmare to fit. R J Stampings now that's interesting you mention that,as I was curious myself, the pictures paint colour is not a true representation , it is more Lime than OD. Now if you are correct that put's the shell from Apr 70- Oct 73, which is ok but but was hoping the shell was a bit earlier than that. Thanks again buddy you have a way of sparking further interest in my own collection, I will be studying my Reynosa book all over again

Sean its really impossible to tell as so much mass production allowed stocks to be years ahead.these straps were originally produced from around 1968 when the shells were still cooling down in there molds,but like all postwar US items the info is so limited that its almost to the point of total frustration and we try to feel in the blanks with whatever seems to fit best,take ALLIANCE GUY on ebay who sells North & Judd chinstraps,nice bloke and I have dealt with him a few times,anyway he purchased x amount of boxes all un-opened and dated 1965,there were something like 3,000 chinstraps,anyway the "P" stamped were I think the preferred Airborne contracted types from the late 60's onwards and these continued through to the eighties,now whether they were 60's exhausted stock or freshly up to date made would be just impossible to say.............

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast