Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Post Vietnam M1-C

Article about: Hi Fellow Collectors. I thought you might like to see this M1-C from my collection for discussion, I believe this one dates from 1974 due the stamp on the webbing ?.The Erdl cover has a very

?

Default Post Vietnam M1-C

Hi Fellow Collectors. I thought you might like to see this M1-C from my collection for discussion, I believe this one dates from 1974 due the stamp on the webbing ?.The Erdl cover has a very feint stamp which I can't make out,the shell it'self has been coated in a very rough finish, and the liner has no stamps apart from a + on the top outside shell, Thanks for looking,Opex.

Post Vietnam M1-C
    Post Vietnam M1-C
    Post Vietnam M1-C
    Post Vietnam M1-C
    Post Vietnam M1-C
    Post Vietnam M1-C
    Post Vietnam M1-C
    Post Vietnam M1-C

Wow that is a rough finish on the shell, you could use it to file your finger nails!.. I like the ERDL cover it's another cool camo from the past, is this this is the post Vietnam ERDL which is neither lime or brown dominant?...

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Wow that is a rough finish on the shell, you could use it to file your finger nails!.. I like the ERDL cover it's another cool camo from the past, is this this is the post Vietnam ERDL which is neither lime or brown dominant?...

Hi Gunny, thanks for looking, and yes the finish is odd it's the only M1 shell I own with this extremely rough textured finish????
    I believe this is the post VN era pattern of ERDL, I do own any VN ERDL so cannot compare, and I agree another cool camoflague pattern from the past

Hi , it looks a good 74 from your pictures to me also(with a 76 headband!) I have seen this rough paint work on M1 helmets here in the UK when the surplus ones hit the market from the air bases back in the 1990's. As I recall if you bashed them too hard the paint would flake off in large chunks so it is good to see one in fine condition. Leon.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi , it looks a good 74 from your pictures to me also(with a 76 headband!) I have seen this rough paint work on M1 helmets here in the UK when the surplus ones hit the market from the air bases back in the 1990's. As I recall if you bashed them too hard the paint would flake off in large chunks so it is good to see one in fine condition. Leon.

Hi Leon, many thanks for looking and for your comments.

I have always considered this one to be a bit of an odd one, I cannot find any stamps where I would expect to find them, and the shell has this odd finish, perhaps it has been "pebble dashed" as you suggest in the 90's?

Regards,Opex

Just to add with regards to the texturing,there's a US seller that turns these shells out on a regular basis,they were surplus lids auctioned off in bulk crates,the guys grandfather purchased a lot,a mixed bag of everything,including fixed bales,wartime chinstraps and plenty of Nam era lids,most if not all have this heavy texture suggesting they all came from some sort of supply depot maybe intended for overseas use,i own two of these lids,also to note is that most of what were originally fixed Baled helmets have nearly all been converted to swivel Bale including mine.personally i think that the texturing was done after service life rather than during,whats the heatstamp opex?.........

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Just to add with regards to the texturing,there's a US seller that turns these shells out on a regular basis,they were surplus lids auctioned off in bulk crates,the guys grandfather purchased a lot,a mixed bag of everything,including fixed bales,wartime chinstraps and plenty of Nam era lids,most if not all have this heavy texture suggesting they all came from some sort of supply depot maybe intended for overseas use,i own two of these lids,also to note is that most of what were originally fixed Baled helmets have nearly all been converted to swivel Bale including mine.personally i think that the texturing was done after service life rather than during,whats the heatstamp opex?.........

Thanks for this valuable input Jake, to answer your question I have had a good look over this shell, and I cannot see a heatstamp where one would be expected to be seen, and the more I look at the shell profile I'm not even 100% sure it's a US made shell, it reminds me of a Dutch profile,could be just my eye's, and I think the lack of a heatstamp makes me suspicious?

Thanks for the information again,Opex.

Well opex as this lid has the much less common "Parish" chinstraps im still of the belief its authentic however if this is a "Parish"made shell or later then the heatstamp is positioned well away from the front visor ridge,it will be quite a way down the front wall and off towards the left bale,try looking again,i cannot see why someone would had these lesser straps to a Euro-clone shell.............

thats a real nice example opex,i dont think ive ever seen such a rough texture before ,thanks for sharing

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Well opex as this lid has the much less common "Parish" chinstraps im still of the belief its authentic however if this is a "Parish"made shell or later then the heatstamp is positioned well away from the front visor ridge,it will be quite a way down the front wall and off towards the left bale,try looking again,i cannot see why someone would had these lesser straps to a Euro-clone shell.............

Hi Jake, that's an interesting point I had not considered ,I will try and find a stamp, which will be more reassuring for me, I bought this one from ebay many years ago for a very reasonable price,but I have always had some reservations about the shell, but hopefully will find some evidence of a heat stamp, many thanks again for your invaluable input,Opex.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast