Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

questions on these m1's!

Article about: Hey guys i just picked up these two M1 helmets today off of craigslist for \\$75, It included 2 (McCord?) helmets, both of them are fixed bail, the straps on one helmet are great! the other on

Default questions on these m1's!

Hey guys i just picked up these two M1 helmets today off of craigslist for $75, It included 2 (McCord?) helmets, both of them are fixed bail, the straps on one helmet are great! the other one not so great.. Also there was a liner included with one of the helmets, The liner is an "Inland" with the letter 12 below the crown? (does the number have any significance?) The helmets i noticed are also different colors, one is a darker green where as the other is a little bit brighter/richer

Curious as to how much you think these are worth? also the helmet liner and some of the helmet interior is moldy, is there a "safe" way i can clean them to get rid of the mold without damaging the helmet?

is there a way i can research the military history of these, on one of the helmets there is black faded numbering that is 804536? i also know the guys name.

thanks guys!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture questions on these m1's!   questions on these m1's!  

questions on these m1's!   questions on these m1's!  

Default Re: questions on these m1's!

also, as this is a "Inland" liner (which i have heard makes it a little bit rarer?) is it worth it getting restored? i have been on the toppots website, or if anyone has any other suggestions for restoration. or whether or not its worth it

?

Default Re: questions on these m1's!

well firstly if they were mine i would not get anything restored yes inland liners are more sort after but restoring it wont make it worth anymore then the condition its in as for the two shells being different colours through out their time in service they can be repainted many times the one with the darker OD green may have seen service through the Korean war. if you wish to clean them up a bit use warm soapy water but make sure all is dried off after to make sure no more rusting occurs DO NOT use oil to clean them as some people may suggest as this could over time affect the paint causing it to soften up.

as for cost shell only with chin straps in that condition $50 to $70 the one with the liner again in that condition but the fact it has an inland liner maybe $100+

for research if you have a full name & number you could try these two sites NARA - AAD - Main Page National WWII Memorial

you did very well for the money you spent on them

hope some of this info is of use