Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Rear seam M1 with stainless steel rim?

Article about: Hello, i bought a rear seam M1 helmet with the lot number 1261E. thanks to a few people on this site, i found out that it is dated sometime in May of 1945. But the guy who i bought it off of

Default Rear seam M1 with stainless steel rim?

Hello, i bought a rear seam M1 helmet with the lot number 1261E. thanks to a few people on this site, i found out that it is dated sometime in May of 1945. But the guy who i bought it off of on Ebay said it had a stainless steel rim. I know that rear seams sometimes had stainless steel rims but that was when they first started moving the seam to the back and switching the rim to manganese steel. So if anyone could help me it would really help. Thanks! Also i got it for 10.50 plus shipping on Ebay! Rear seam M1 with stainless steel rim?Rear seam M1 with stainless steel rim?Rear seam M1 with stainless steel rim?Rear seam M1 with stainless steel rim?Rear seam M1 with stainless steel rim?

?

There are cases of rear seam, stainless steel rim M1's as well as front seam, maganese rim M1's also. There is no known reason as to why these occured. Most point out this was an error by the manufacturer, or a worker just simply wanting to be unique by doing it his/her way. There is also no definitive dates of when this occured. Best bet is go by the heat stamp for dating.

?

I have a rear seam, stainless rimed, M1C helmet. It has a 1160H heat stamp. Can someone tell me what date that heat stamp would be? Ray

Hi.
    Ray, date of your helmet is february-march 1945.
    2rangers, I have a rear m1 helmet with steel rim too.
    Regards. Miguel Angel.

?

Thanks for that information Miguel, I appreciate it, Ray

Quote by Valentia View Post
    Hi.
    Ray, date of your helmet is february-march 1945.
    2rangers, I have a rear m1 helmet with steel rim too.
    Regards. Miguel Angel.
    Hi Miguel,

I am not sure I understand your meaning. Are you saying that the heat number identifies this helmet as belonging to 2nd Rangers? If so I would love to know how this is so because I thought that heat numbers were simple batch numbers relating to the steel sheets and that they are only useable for dating purposes because of records showing when particular batches of material were used. I did not think it was possible to work out which units received helmets from a particular batch.
    Sorry if I have mis-interpreted your meaning.

Regards

Mark

?

The message is for 2rangers, the original person who started this thread.

Quote by denfly View Post
    The message is for 2rangers, the original person who started this thread.
    Haha! OK thanks. I thought that was a bit odd

Regards

Mark

?

The closest I have heard in regards to certain units having certain equipment is that rear seamed, stainless steel, M1's were used by airborne units during D-Day.