Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Recent M1 purchase

Article about: Recently picked this up from an antique store for \\$50. How did I do? It's missing the chin strap, liner strap, and the webbing is slightly coming apart, but looks to be repairable. Besides t

?

Default Recent M1 purchase

Recently picked this up from an antique store for $50. How did I do?
    It's missing the chin strap, liner strap, and the webbing is slightly coming apart, but looks to be repairable. Besides the markings found on the webbing (see pic), I couldn't find any actual markings on the liner or helmet themselves. Can anyone also tell me what era it is from, and any other possible info? Helmets aren't my specialty. Thanks a lot

Interesting note: when removing the liner from the helmet, there was quite a bit of loose sand in between the two. Possible sand from a battlefield? Who knows...

Matthew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Recent M1 purchase   Recent M1 purchase  

Recent M1 purchase   Recent M1 purchase  

Attached Images Attached Images Recent M1 purchase  Recent M1 purchase 
    Last edited by mabrgo; 06-22-2010 at 05:56 PM.

?

Default Re: Recent M1 purchase

well the shell is a front seamed swivel bail it should have a heat stamp number on the inside to the front around the peak area but it looks to be re-painted so you may not be able to find it. liner should have a makers stamp on the inside on the top check here for all makers stamp to see which one is yours Top Pots - U.S. World War II Restored Airborne and Infantry Helmets

both the liner & shell are WW2 era but the leather head band in the liner has a date stamp of what looks to be 1979.

hope this info helps

?

Thanks for your help. Its looks to be manufactured by Firestone. Thanks again!
    Matthew

?

your welcome

you have a WWII M1 helmet that was reused all the way into the 1970's & 1980's

it probably had the quick detachable clip on type chin straps and a camo cover on it

the late issue headband is a good indication of post war use could have been used anytime from the date marked on the headband until the helmet was replaced by the kevlar PASGT helmet