Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reissued fixed bales M1?

Article about: Dear collectors, what about this M1? It seems as it has been repainted at some point, but with the WW2 era paint. Any comment will be really appreciated! TIA, M.

Default Reissued fixed bales M1?

Dear collectors, what about this M1? It seems as it has been repainted at some point, but with the WW2 era paint. Any comment will be really appreciated!

TIA,

M.

Reissued fixed bales M1?Reissued fixed bales M1?Reissued fixed bales M1?Reissued fixed bales M1?Reissued fixed bales M1?Reissued fixed bales M1?Reissued fixed bales M1?Reissued fixed bales M1?Reissued fixed bales M1?Reissued fixed bales M1?Reissued fixed bales M1?Reissued fixed bales M1?

?

Default Re: Reissued fixed bales M1?

it looks like its been repainted quite a few times probably during WW2 as well as post for Korean war use especially with that chin strap ?

WWII shells were used for quite a while after the war ended if I'm not mistaken. The other day I had a chance to purchase a swivel bale front seam shell that had been perfectly repainted in Vietnam-era lime green with a sand texture. I thought it would have been cool to strip it of its Vietnam finish and try to make it look the way it did when it was originally constructed but he wanted $50 for it. It was too much for me. : (

?

even fixed bail shells saw action in Vietnam i have one thats a fixed bail shell with a WW2 liner but has VN era chin straps & a well worn VN era cover

?

Definitly a post WWII chinstrap. The chinstrap stitching is not the factory made bar stitch. Can't quite put a finger on it.
    SteveR

Ok for the stitching, seems handsewn, but the chinstrap is the OD7 late war type, with steel buckle. I have one exactly like this on a Schlueter front seam.

?

Plus the national guard were issued with lots of WW2 and Korean war field and combat gear and weaponry well in to the 1970's, in one particular book I have it shows just such a picture with the caption stating "This is not southern Germany 1945, but Camp Drum NY 1970"

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

Quote by Nige H View Post
    in one particular book I have it shows just such a picture with the caption stating "This is not southern Germany 1945, but Camp Drum NY 1970"

Nige.
    That picture in the book wouldnt happen to be of some US tankers with M3 "Grease Guns" would it Nige? If it is, I think that we have a copy of the same book!!

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Quote by ziomanno View Post
    Ok for the stitching, seems handsewn, but the chinstrap is the OD7 late war type, with steel buckle. I have one exactly like this on a Schlueter front seam.
    sorry late reply but if im not mistaken i see a "S" under that heat stamp

Quote by Nige H View Post
    Plus the national guard were issued with lots of WW2 and Korean war field and combat gear and weaponry well in to the 1970's, in one particular book I have it shows just such a picture with the caption stating "This is not southern Germany 1945, but Camp Drum NY 1970"

Nige.
    Quite true Nige I served at a Guard unit in Kansas in mid 70's 73 -75 and in the armorey were WW2 .50 mg .45 pistols and a couple of M-1 sniper rifles WW2 dated both were the kind with the off set scope, flash guard and leather cheek piece I forget their proper name there were also M-1 helmets of some of which were fixed bail front seam WW2 it had been a infantry unit prior to becoming a Engineer unit. There were other gear there in field gear canteens, mes kits an entrenching tools of the like WW2 dated course me having a eye for dates and makes I was probably the only one that did to the other guys it was all the same. timothy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast