Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reliable purchasing sources for M1 helmets

Article about: What are reliable sources to purchase M1 helmets from? I've been pretty focused on the German side of things so the dealer websites I have bookmarked sell primarily German, but I thought a c

Default Reliable purchasing sources for M1 helmets

What are reliable sources to purchase M1 helmets from? I've been pretty focused on the German side of things so the dealer websites I have bookmarked sell primarily German, but I thought a complete M1 would be nice to have in my collection. Looking for suggestions on sites that sell primarily American militaria. Can eBay be trusted if you do due diligence? I realize the condition might not be as good buying from a source like this. I am based in the US so while not opposed to purchasing from overseas, stateside would be easier I think. Thanks for your suggestions!

MAP
    ?

Each item stands on it's own and needs to be vetted. Never assume something is original based on the reputation of the dealer.

Some to check out.....

Bay State Militaria
    Griffin Militaria
    Ward Militaria (member here)
    Stewarts Militaria
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

One more to add m1helmetdepot.com
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thanks for the suggestions!

I was going to recommend m1helmetdepot as well. It doesn't get updated as often as some other sites but I've seen some great helmets offered there.

I think the sites suggested above are good places to look, just keep in mind that they can be a bit on the pricey side of things, especially if you're looking for just a plain Jane helmet.

If you do your homework eBay can be a good source for helmets for decent helmets. That's where I've purchased many of my helmets.

Especially if you decide to go the eBay route, I would suggest learning as much as you can about M1s first so you understand the details to look for when buying an original M1. Keep in mind the M1 wasn't phased out until the mid 80s and helmets were often reissued/refinished multiple times throughout their life. You'll often find helmets that are a mishmash of parts from different eras, there's nothing inherently wrong about this but if you're looking for an original WWII M1 you'll need to keep this in mind. You'll want to know how to tell the difference between helmets and liners from different periods so you can make the right choice when buying.

Plenty of great resources available online, in print, and on forums. If you think you've found the right helmet but aren't 100% sure about it ask for opinions before you buy.

I've been using this thread as a launching point: M1 Helmet 101 - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

I'm seeing many "authentic" helmets with the olive green straps in photo #2 which apparently is Korean war and later. It sounds like Khaki or gray rayon is the appropriate liner strap color. This one for example: Helmets US US Late WWII M1 Helmet & Liner, Lt Col Pinto - Stewarts Military Antiques - $225.00

It also looks like the postwar shell as featured on post #7 on page 1 of this thread: Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell

MAP
    ?

I would also suggest you look at this link and consider picking up a solid reference book.

The Western Allies - Helmets - US M1 Steel Helmet
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The Ruptured Duck is another site that may have what you are looking for.. Bill Shea is a wonderful person and is a member here..
    The Ruptured Duck - Original WW2 German and US Militaria For Sale – The Ruptured Duck, LLC

Bay State Militaria is also a decent site and some good folks there as well.. Bay State Militaria and Antiques

One final place is AGM Advanced Guard Militaria

http://www.advanceguardmilitaria.com/

As MAP has said I would suggest some good reference books like Painted Steel by Chris Armold…

Smitty

Based on the pictures the shell itself looks to be late WWII. I believe the liner itself is KW era manufactured. Though from the pictures I'm not 100% certain if the webbing is OD#7 or if it's sweat stained OD#3. In either case, the rank decals and repaint on the liner all point to this being a 50s reissue. Not in the greatest of shape but still a nice helmet.

I'll also throw out another reference book for M1s: The M-1 Helmet of the World War II GI by Pieter Oosterman

It's a great book and covers the details on the WWII M1 helmet well. It also has some of the most comprehensive information on the WWII helmet liners I've seen. The biggest draw back is that the book limits itself to fixed bail helmets even though plenty of swivel bail helmets saw use towards the end of the war.

Quote by nickman983 View Post
    Based on the pictures the shell itself looks to be late WWII. I believe the liner itself is KW era manufactured. Though from the pictures I'm not 100% certain if the webbing is OD#7 or if it's sweat stained OD#3. In either case, the rank decals and repaint on the liner all point to this being a 50s reissue. Not in the greatest of shape but still a nice helmet.

I'll also throw out another reference book for M1s: The M-1 Helmet of the World War II GI by Pieter Oosterman

It's a great book and covers the details on the WWII M1 helmet well. It also has some of the most comprehensive information on the WWII helmet liners I've seen. The biggest draw back is that the book limits itself to fixed bail helmets even though plenty of swivel bail helmets saw use towards the end of the war.
    I just ordered that one actually, but now that you said that I'm wondering if I should have gotten a different book...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast