Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell

Article about: Good stuff Nick. No liner sorry. chris

Default Re: Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell

Good stuff Nick.
    No liner sorry.
    chris

And I thik we just might have our answer now!!!! THnaks Nick for throwing that link up

?

i kind of stumbled across that thread while i was looking for samples of SCHLUETER made shell heat stamp numbers

That’s a good thread you found there Nick well done.
    So it looks like we have a Vietnam era Canadian made M1 . never knew they existed!
    I thought there was something strange with the numbers.
    We got there in the end. Mystery solved I think.
    Regards
    Rod

?

Well done Nick. I had no idea the Canadians made M1's. Seems a little odd that the US would accept the stainless rim though. Maybe it didn't matter so much because helmet covers would be worn? There is not much info about on these.
    However, when digging on the intertubes I came across the image below. I had to do a double take to make sure I wasn't seeing things. While it is not relevant to the helmet being discussed, it may be of interest.

Best Regards,

Andy

US M1 Helmet in WWII Canadian infantry - MLU FORUM
    Attached Images Attached Images Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell 
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Not wanting to stray too far off the Main topic of this US M-1 thread here but since we have stumbled on to the relm of Canadian M-1, I'm going to share here some text I've picked up (copied nad pasted) from one or more sources. Wish I could recall who/from were this info came from so I can give proper credit, might even be folks right here from WRF.....but anyway, here is the little info I have in my data base on Canadian M-1s:

A small quantify if US M1’s were first purchased in 1942 which let to a much larger order. But at about the same time the Canadians decided to equip itself with British helmets and canceled that balance of the large order. The portion of the large order, that was delivered, was placed in to storage for the balance of the war. Canadian soldiers, serving along side US troops in the Pacific, where provided with US M1s. It was not until the Korean War that the Canadians officially adopted the US M1 as its combat helmet.

From the early thru the mid 1970s Canadian mfr. RJ Stampings, of Quebec, produced some 1.8 million M1 helmets for both Canada and the US.

For paratroopers, in the 1970’s, Canadians also adopted a M1C version. One of the distictive features of this helmet is a rectangle shapped cushion neck protector, installed in the back of the liner behind the sweatband and nap strap. The cushion had the words “Bottom” and “Crown” stamped on them to indicate position of installation.

CMP stamp, inside the liner stands for “Consolidated Molded Products Corp.”

According to Tin Lids, Canada did manufacture some shells during the 1960's. They were identical to the US manufactured ones and had no distinguishing markings on them. In addition the vast majority of the Canadian production was sent to the US.
    Liners for the helmets were procured from the States.

And from what we have recently learned I think it is safe to add that the Canadian's used a different font for the HS (shorter/fatter font) and that examples have been seen with Stainless rims.

And for any of you M-1 eBay shoppers, I'm sure you have seen the unissed lots of surplus Canadian M-1s that pop up pretty regular, I think lots of 20 helmets, still stack in the origian box.

Russ

very interesting stuff,never knew that canadians wore M1's during the war,thanks for sharing this info,regards dave.

?

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    very interesting stuff,never knew that canadians wore M1's during the war,thanks for sharing this info,regards dave.
    On an unrelated thread, this has turned up. Thread here:
    Field Phone

Original photo post from Rob, and caption credit to PaulB. An M1 worn in combat by a Canadian.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell   Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell  

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Don't believe that is an M1. Looks more like a fally lid.

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    On an unrelated thread, this has turned up. Thread here:
    Field Phone

Original photo post from Rob, and caption credit to PaulB. An M1 worn in combat by a Canadian.

Best Regards,

Andy

was their one standard color paint for ww2 m1 helmets? i have a shlueter that has the green like i have seen with cork and is dated 1943 and a mccord that has od7 sewn on straps and a later chinstrap parts. it has a dark green color and is more rough. it is dated 1944. was the second one repainted and used in vietnam? thanks.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast