Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?

Article about: I have a question and hopefully you can help me... As a gift i received a "unique and authentic american M1 helmet" (as they say) but i'm having my doubts…as on if it’s WW2 or even

maurice1976
    ?

Default In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?

I have a question and hopefully you can help me...
    As a gift i received a "unique and authentic american M1 helmet" (as they say) but i'm having my doubts…as on if it’s WW2 or even American…i suspect it’s a euroclone (belgium or danish)…
    It’s my first helmet and i’m a newby on helmetresearch...

Things i have discovered/researched;

- i can't find a heat stamp in the steelpot, but found a white stamp
    - the swivel bale looks right…but inverted?... maybe late war?
    - measurements; length 10,63 inch (27,3cm) / width 9,055 inch (23,5cm) / depth 6,299 inch (16,7cm
    - it's repainted...new paint is coming/peeling off
    - original paint is no cork...but looks like sand (not als smooth as a dutch army helmet)
    - the steelpot is not magnetic
    - the liner is in my eyes a replica; it's plastic and very new and has no stamps

I hope you can help me to find out if this is a "unique and authentic american M1 helmet”...

Thank you in advance and lest we forget

In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?

Shell looks ok to me, front seam, not so sure about the liner maybe a total refurb, i am sure others will let you know.

It is a rear seam helmet. A heat number I cannot discern.

Could be US, but to my mind it is Belgian. A so called M51. I may be mistaken, but I seem to see a rectangle on the side of the shell above the bales.

The white stamp can read: UMAL, a Belgian manufacturer.

My two cents,

Cheers,
    Emile

Look at: .: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 51 :.

Well bugger me, i got my front and rear mixed up, wouldnt be the first time, ask the wife?.

maurice1976
    ?

Thanks.
    The rectangle above the bale is what caught my eye as well...and what triggered me to investigate more and post here...it looks like it's brushed/scraped of till the bare metal
    Also not finding a heat stamp (or the remains of a heat stamp) but a white "paint" stamp.

In the white stamp, in the white spot i can decypher A D or A B
    AB would make sense for ABL (Armee Belgique/Belgisch Leger)
    And the *smutched letter* MA *smutched letter* could indicate UMAL

In search of help: is this an american M1 or a (euro)clone?

Deffo a Euro-jobby without a doubt.......................

the thick stainless seam and profile looks like the Belgian M51, the helmet could be an export used by another country besides Belgium, that could explain the unusual liner, possibly used by Argentina or Peru?