Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Some help with this helmet

Article about: Well to say the least the liner is ww2 period us the helmet also appears to be I not sure what country would have used this but, it is a us reissue

?

Default Re: Some help with this Polish helmet

Well to say the least the liner is ww2 period us the helmet also appears to be I not sure what country would have used this but, it is a us reissue

Argentina used surplus US M-1 in the very early 50 and both their Air Force and Navy's helmets were painted a Blue/Gray color. I've done a little searching for an eagle and crown insignia that looks similar but have not come across one as of yet. Going to keep looking, this one is interesting to me.

Russ
    Last edited by MySonsDad; 08-19-2012 at 03:47 AM.

?

I dont think that the helmet was air force or navy, probably repainted by the country that it was issued to very neat I've never seen anything like this. Very odd
    Sean F

Sean, I'm sorry, I think I worded my last post poorly (I have since edited it) and meant to say the Argentinian Navy and Air Force's helmets were painted a Blue/Gray color and that they also used WWII period surplus M-1 helmets in the early 1950's.

Russ

?

That makes sense but what would the insignia be for is the question now or what country

Default Re: Some help with this helmet

Thread moved here.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by gel65 View Post
    That makes sense but what would the insignia be for is the question now or what country
    It's an odd one for sure but I am certain someone will come up with an answer. As it is likely a very early post war helmet, the insignia might be some kind of transitional thing and not well documented. Only a handful of countries (well actually about 15 I think) purchased US M-1's post war so that narrows it down quite a bit. Colonial Crown over the eagle, that should narrow it down even more. It's the shape of the eagle that is throwing things, it's not "typical" so maybe not so much emphises should be placed on it, just my opinion anyway. Someone mentioned Italian, most likely based on the shape of the eagle, but the Italian's never used M-1s to the best of my knowledge anyway.

Best of luck identifying and if this lid is for sale, we might be interested!

Russ & Son

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12