Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Some M1's

Article about: Hey guys! I'd like to get some opinions on these helmets. Please pardon my inexperience! First up is this pot. I would guess its from Vietnam, judging by the finish and the green straps? Sel

Default Some M1's

Hey guys!

I'd like to get some opinions on these helmets. Please pardon my inexperience!

First up is this pot. I would guess its from Vietnam, judging by the finish and the green straps? Seller says that it is from the estate of a soldier who served in Korea and Vietnam. Does anyone know what unit the insignia belongs to?
    This one is $40

Some M1's
    Some M1's
    Some M1's
    Some M1's
    Some M1's

The next one is a bit more confusing for me? The khaki lining (correct me if I'm wrong!) Indicates world war two. But then some parts are in green? Could it be re worked for later use? Also note the paint drops on the liner- could it have been a repainted helmet for military service? Or repainted by some guy in his garage..
    I beleive the cover is Veitnam era, but it does seem a bit clean for its age and if it was used I would expect more wear. Possibly a mismatched helmet/liner/cover?
    This one is $80

Some M1's
    Some M1's
    Some M1's

This one is said to be a Korean war helmet. The lining is khaki, but it looks like there is some green as well. The liner doesnt fit the helmet- so it must be mismatched??? Has markings "A22" and a firestone logo. I'll ask for better photos from the seller.

Some M1's
    Some M1's
    Some M1's

This last one is out of curiosity... Are the dents in the side of the helmet caused by bullets? Is this helmet ww2? Apparently found in france. Are the stains on the strap blood, or just general age stains?

Some M1's
    Some M1's
    Some M1's
    Some M1's
    Some M1's

Thanks so much for the help here guys.
    I hope this isn't too tedious, and don't feel like you need to go in to too much detail on these items!
    Again, thanks in advance.

Quinn

Default Re: Some M1's

The last one looks as though someone tried out their .22 rifle on it and that is rust on the chin strap.

The last one is a French M51 helmet.

?

The first one has straps and liner much later than the Vietnam or Korean wars. They were the last type used on M1's up until the mid 1980's. The steel pot seems to be from that era too.
    The second one looks to have a WW2 liner, with a Vietnam era Mitchel cover. Not sure about the steel pot, more photos will be needed.
    Third one will need better photos to be sure, but it could be a late WW2 or 1950's liner in a 1960's steel pot.
    The last one is not an M1, it's a French made "Otan"

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Thanks for your replies guys!

Always learning!

Quinn