Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Spooky Vietnam era helmet?

Article about: That is a mid-late nam PARATROOPER liner, or a post war paratrooper liner. Lets remember that. That is worth money, \\$50. The sweatband is post war. But, the cover could be ERDL, as ERDL cove

?

Default Spooky Vietnam era helmet?

I bought this helmet at a local auction for $20. It is claimed to be Vietnam war era. The helmet has spooky graffity on it, e.g. "DCLXVI" (666) and the word "OUIJA". It also has "AC DC" written on it. Although AC DC formed in 1973, their first album did not come out till 1975. Therefore I am somewhat suspicious. I guess it could be late Vietnam era vintage? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spooky Vietnam era helmet?   Spooky Vietnam era helmet?  

Spooky Vietnam era helmet?   Spooky Vietnam era helmet?  

Spooky Vietnam era helmet?   Spooky Vietnam era helmet?  

Default Re: Spooky Vietnam era helmet?

1980's issue.Not Vietnam.The photo you show of the headband has the following on the second line of the stamping: DLA 100-83-C-437?.The "83" on the stamping indicates 1983 so, that is most likely your answer. I dont know about the shell because the cover is over it.On the subject of the cover: it is not Vietnam era but a Woodland pattern,which would explain the reference to AC/DC as this was used from the 1970's on but AFTER Vietnam. Take the cover off and look on the inside to see if there is a stamp with the "DLA" on it. Vietnam era covers used a "Mitchel" pattern cover which had actual Oak leaf patterns over a green background. There does exist a rare ERDL pattern that resembles your cover but has really vibrant colors(I know yours is faded,though) and the pattern a bit different.At first I thought that was what you had!
    FYI: DLA on US militairy items is generally a post 1974 thing.DSA is typically what you want to look for(Vietnam era) and is usually found on items dated from like 1964(I think) to 1974.
    My apologies for the wordy explanation.
    Hope this helps.
    Eric

?

Eric. Many thanks for your rapid and informative response. I took the cover off and photoed the markings. It is really difficult to read but I can make out "MPLS" and "flage". Apologies for the pic...it was the best I could do. With your experience maybe you can ID some of the markings (maybe photoenhance?). Couldn't see "ERDI" anywhere. It is good to know what I have. Thanks again!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spooky Vietnam era helmet?   Spooky Vietnam era helmet?  

?

Quote by ashgld15 View Post
    1980's issue.Not Vietnam.The photo you show of the headband has the following on the second line of the stamping: DLA 100-83-C-437?.The "83" on the stamping indicates 1983 so, that is most likely your answer. I dont know about the shell because the cover is over it.On the subject of the cover: it is not Vietnam era but a Woodland pattern,which would explain the reference to AC/DC as this was used from the 1970's on but AFTER Vietnam. Take the cover off and look on the inside to see if there is a stamp with the "DLA" on it. Vietnam era covers used a "Mitchel" pattern cover which had actual Oak leaf patterns over a green background. There does exist a rare ERDL pattern that resembles your cover but has really vibrant colors(I know yours is faded,though) and the pattern a bit different.At first I thought that was what you had!
    FYI: DLA on US militairy items is generally a post 1974 thing.DSA is typically what you want to look for(Vietnam era) and is usually found on items dated from like 1964(I think) to 1974.
    My apologies for the wordy explanation.
    Hope this helps.
    Eric
    Not to wordy.
    Good explanation.
    From the late 60's to the lfirst gulf war Nam military vets were commonly viewed as blood crazy spooks not to be trusted in polite society and to be avoided whenever possible which explains the graffity.

SteveR

Outstanding! And most likely right on the graffity! The "flage" is for "cammo" which the whole word is just not visible because of aging,etc. It looks like there might be a DLS-75 in there but not sure. Therefore....1975 helmet cover.Play around with it in good and poor lighting and you might get a glimpse.Sometimesblack lights work.Talk aboput AC/Dc
    I can't remember if you would see anything written "ERDL" because that was only the technical name for that cammo patternused by US Army Rangers, Recon, USMC and some "brown water" Navy personell.I stiil have the "boonie" hat in that pattern somewhere.It might have been stamped but I don't remember.ERDL(pronounced phoenetically"urdil") stood for Engineering Reseaerch Developmental Laboratories" and they did all the testing of uniforms/gear,etc... for the military in those days.I think the labs were in Mass or Maryland.The pattern had all types of knick-names within the military and most Vets probably don't know it as ERDL. There would be a yellow-green and a dark green in addition to the brown and black within the pattern.I wish you had the ERDL because they were almost never issued out as helmet cover(at least not before 1969) and are worth a little! Still, you have a nice complete set from a by-gone era which is sad because when Ithink about it I'm old enough to have been in the military in the 80's and could have been issued with a helmet and cover like yours
    and now I feel......old!
    The hemet liner looks pre 1974 but the canvas webbing inside looks post war ,at least the band you photoed is.
    And finaly, look on the metal chin strap buckels of the helmet. Is there a small anchor on the one of the metal fittings? If so,that's one way to tell if the helmet SHELL is Veitnam era,but I don't know why or what the anchor means.I just know it's probably for sure to be from the war time era.
    Eric

?

Thanks again Eric for informative reply! I could not find an anchor on any of the buckles but found the letter "P". Upon closer inspection and considerable eye strain the marking looks like "DLA 100-79-???" and underneath "?475-08??". I found a forum that listed the contracts for the ERDL pattern.

DSA 100-69-C-1701 - unknown
    DSA 100-76-F-U363 - MPLS. SOC. F/T BLIND INC.
    DSA 100-77-F-U393 - MPLS. SOC. F/T BLIND INC.
    DLA 100-78-F-U048 - MPLS. SOC. F/T BLIND INC.
    DLA 100-79-F-U340 - MPLS. SOC. F/T BLIND INC.
    DLA 100-80-F-U911 - MPLS. SOC. F/T BLIND INC.

Being new to this, what is the significance of the ERDL pattern? I have always been intrigued by the Vietnam War since it occured during my teen years and I thought if they did not wrap it up soon, I would go there.

Well,the ERDL pattern was sort of a new experiment with cammo patterns.As it turns out,it ended up being copied(more or less) into the US woodland pattern which we all know became our standard(non-desert) cammo pattern.The troops I listed in my last post in Veitnam were the main personnel to recieve it.The pattern began developement in 1948 but wasn't issued out until1967.It came in two patterns:Lime or brown-dominant. Theoretically the varying patterns were supposed to be issued to troops according to which region of the country they were operating in and were called Highland and Lowland patterns.
    I've only owned lime dominant patterns,by the way.
    The DSA & DLA examples you provided are typical and that two digit number after the "100-" is the year of manufacture. Also quite tyical on helmet covers is the Soc.F/T Blind INC. which is the "Society for the Blind" and are the .....makers of the product(I know, I can't explain that one!)
    On "early" Vietnam stuff say,pre 1964 you will not see DSA & DLA but instead FSN(Federal Stock Number) and thosego to the 50's and back to the 1940's.Just alittle FYI incase you end up with stampings like that.
    Does this help?

?

You have educated me quite a bit on this type of helmet and appreciate your help. Basically I have post Vietnam war M1 helmet. This good to know in case I want to sell it w/o deceiving anybody about its origins. Thanks again.

?

Quote by Pablo View Post
    Eric. Many thanks for your rapid and informative response. I took the cover off and photoed the markings. It is really difficult to read but I can make out "MPLS" and "flage". Apologies for the pic...it was the best I could do. With your experience maybe you can ID some of the markings (maybe photoenhance?). Couldn't see "ERDI" anywhere. It is good to know what I have. Thanks again!
    I've come in a bit late here but try looking at the markings under UV/blacklight. You'd be surprised how much more you can see.

Rob

?

Quote by Robbo View Post
    I've come in a bit late here but try looking at the markings under UV/blacklight. You'd be surprised how much more you can see.

Rob
    Rob,
    Good to see you here, I hope you're going to post some of your collection?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast