Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

St. Clair M1 Set

Article about: andy thats a really nice helmet you have there ! the blood thing is a bit strange but still cool !

?

Default Re: St. Clair M1 Set

Quote by Matt F View Post
    On the case of the blood stain, it looks too glossy to be paint of that time. IMO it looks like blood.

Yup, I think so too. Looks to have been a nasty one.

Best Regards,

Andy

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Thanks Nick and Andy do you have a lot of books?if so is there a similar train of thought with all the authors or are they all very differant as I only have the one mentioned previously....cheers Jake.
    I only use only two books currently, and of course the internet for reference. The books:
    The M1 Helmet of the World War 11 GI by Pieter Oosterman,
    and of course Helmets of the ETO by Régis Giard and Frédéric Blais. I consider The M1 Helmet of the World War 11 to be the better book.

And hey, don't forget this humble forum, it's a fantastic reference site that evolves and produces new information in a way that books cannot. And we have Ned. I have heard that there are other forums out there too...............

Best Regards,

Andy

Another nice one Andy
    The paint on the pot looks fine to me.
    I think you will have to get something from C I S to determine if that’s blood.
    I never knew about the shallow cut of the liner for the bales very interesting.
    The paint on the liner is different to the high pressure liners, this was perhaps just a St Clair thing, the texture that is, what do you think. I like that chin strap on it, brown rivets and green buckle and clips, were these not made during the time from moving from brown hardware to green, thus so making them mixed.
    Over all a nice helmet to have in any collection well done.
    Hi Jake and welcome to the forum.
    The helmet you have shown, may i ask if the chinstraps have been factory fitted or do they look like a field repair. I only ask out of curiosity.
    We would love to see your helmets, have you got any airborne helmets.
    Regards
    Rod

Where do you find these helmets! I can't find them anywhere...

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Where do you find these helmets! I can't find them anywhere...
    I steal them all off plumbob, he has so many, he doesn't even know they are gone.

Best Regards,

Andy

Hi Rod these are the ebay pics which are not too good....im still thinking maybe field replacement as until now never seen steel buckles on lids before june 44....sorry there not better...Jake.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture St. Clair M1 Set   St. Clair M1 Set  

St. Clair M1 Set  

I certainly wish I could lay claim to ever owning them Andy you lucky sod.
    Jake its hard to tell from the pictures how its sewn on.
    What i will say is i think the outside of the shell has been repainted, this one the cork looks flat compared to untouched ones I’ve seen and have. See what the rest of the guys say if your thinking of buying it. Better pictures would be needed.
    But then again if its cheap enough go for it.
    Remember i am no expert but then again are any of us lol.
    Regards
    Rod

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    Looks to have been a nasty one.
    What I don't understand is how the blood got in the shell without any bullet or shrapnel damage.

?

It's a nice helmet, but it's really difficult to form an opinion from the photographs. I think this will come down to what liner is in there, and what the eventual price of it will be.

Best Regards,

Andy

?

Quote by Matt F View Post
    What I don't understand is how the blood got in the shell without any bullet or shrapnel damage.

It is an odd one indeed.

Best Regards,

Andy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast