Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange looking M1 lid

Article about: The lady's name is Lee Miller. She's well worth looking up on the web and very highly regarded.

?

Default Strange looking M1 lid

Today i was watching an episode of Flog it, they were talking about a wartime battle photographer, a woman , and showed a photo of her wearing a M1 but it had a fixed face mask almost identical to the type you see on a suit of armour, it was fixed at the sides with rivets and could fold up and down, ive never seen one like that before,were they common or is this a rarity

?

Default Re: Strange looking M1 lid

its a modified M-1 or the type T-14 photograhper helmet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange looking M1 lid  
    Attached Images Attached Images Strange looking M1 lid 

?

Thats the woman there Nick, she was quite famous apparently and became an impressionist painter but all her wartime photos were found in her attic by her son when she died, he didnt even know about her wartime exploits, thanks for the info

I have never seen one on these before. They must be hard to find. Do you know how much one of these would typically go for Nick?

?

they do come up on a very rare occasion they seem to normally go around the $2000+ mark

?

theres also this type of of helmet from around 1918 experimental type model-8

American experimental helmets from WWI | Military Trader
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange looking M1 lid  

I would love to find one of those helmets.
    I have never seen one.
    Chris

I had no idea these were actually used. I thought they were all
    experimental - Thanks for the info, Nick.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

I did see a few months ago the first helmet for sale .
    The price was really high.
    chris

I always find it strange how the MODEL 8 was basically an M1 with a steel plated face visor produced by "the ford motor company" and yet even with that iconic shape,would sit for a further 23 years before it was finally adopted as the "new modern steel combat helmet".also lets not forget all the postwar experimental programs like the (LINCLOE) or "TITANIUM" or the "T" or "EX" series but to mention a few,but the M1 always stayed the coarse,incidently around the early 1918/19 period the first prototype M1 was cast and now sits in the basement of the "MANHATTEN MUSEUM".these experimental helmets are impossible to price as there's no guidelines to compare to so really it would be what its worth to the individual to have in there collection,just have to keep looking maybe one day who knows...........Jake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast