Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Strange M1 Helmet, and other goodies.

Article about: I bought this helmet, It is fixed bailed and came with a helmet cover helmet cover, I do not think the cover originally went with the helmet. My question is why is it painted a gold color, I

Default Strange M1 Helmet, and other goodies.

I bought this helmet, It is fixed bailed and came with a helmet cover helmet cover, I do not think the cover originally went with the helmet. My question is why is it painted a gold color, I have another helmet that is really beaten up that also has fixed bails and it appears to be the same color, I did some research and it seems others have been painted that color. Also I received these other Items at the same location.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0813.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	676772Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0816.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	676771Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0817.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	676770Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0815.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	676769

id say that gold paint was added after it was out of service, on that first aid pouch, may i ask what the markings on it are?

When opened I can barely make out a yellow 3 and something else in very good lighting, on the back it looks like a faded soldiers name written upside down, other than that no marking you can make out.

i dont suppose your are a member of the usmilitariaforum? they had a thread just today on first aid pouches, you might find 1 on there like yours.

Comparing the condition of the paint to the rest of the shell I would say it was painted long after any military use. Maybe a hippy or something in the 60's, or just kids playing?

Hi , I would be tempted to try and strip that gold paint off as at least this looks to be a genuine fixed bale shell and those are getting harder to come by. Leon
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

The shell looks a ground dug relic which left un-painted would be a nice combat found piece of history,with it being painted its worth less than the Mitchell cover especially as it looks in great condition,also why does the Medic pouch have a USMC Eagle Globe attached to it?.............
    With Regards Jake.