Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Stress fractures

Article about: Hi I see some M1 shells they have fractures / cracks in the back, should this be reflected in the price or does this not detract in anyway as its a common issue on early shells and to be exp

?

Default Stress fractures

Hi I see some M1 shells they have fractures / cracks in the back, should this be reflected in the price or does this not detract in anyway as its a common issue on early shells and to be expected when looking to purchase. Hope this makes sense , as I have seen a helmet that I like but has this issue.

I personally like the stress cracks, that is part of the early history of the m1 helmet.
    Marty
    Last edited by Tank Destroyer; 09-19-2016 at 11:43 PM.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Did these occur while in service , or are the fractures the result of age. Makes you wonder how much protection these helmets gave.

The stress crack conundrum!this whole statement about "early shells" having them is something that was set out in the collecting world many moons ago!personally the biggest pile of horse shit i've ever heard.!it was impurities in certain batches of steel required hence why its only seen on certain pots.early or late war or even postwar as late as the 1970's all show various degree's of cracks from surface hairline to gaping devides at the front and rear and also over the loop.i own seven humble FL sets and only one carries these cracks.!now from a dealer's point of view if he or she is purchasing from you then they will use this natural fault as leverage to knock you down saying the set isn't worth as much'(trust me its happened to me) but once acquired the set goes on site for resale and hardly no mention of any cracks whatsoever and is priced accordingly.!in other words the dealer doesn't do discount for the very same fault that they used against you in the firstplace.!always post here first.!good luck with the purchase.!

I personally do not mind the cracks either, as long as they are not substantial.

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    The stress crack conundrum!this whole statement about "early shells" having them is something that was set out in the collecting world many moons ago!personally the biggest pile of horse shit i've ever heard.!it was impurities in certain batches of steel required hence why its only seen on certain pots.early or late war or even postwar as late as the 1970's all show various degree's of cracks from surface hairline to gaping devides at the front and rear and also over the loop.i own seven humble FL sets and only one carries these cracks.!now from a dealer's point of view if he or she is purchasing from you then they will use this natural fault as leverage to knock you down saying the set isn't worth as much'(trust me its happened to me) but once acquired the set goes on site for resale and hardly no mention of any cracks whatsoever and is priced accordingly.!in other words the dealer doesn't do discount for the very same fault that they used against you in the firstplace.!always post here first.!good luck with the purchase.!
    Yeah Jake (ruddersranger44) hits the nail on the head here as I own Korean War period McCord shells with these stress cracks