Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Transitional St. Clair and Early Unpainted Rayon Westinghouse, new arrivals!

Article about: This is the third time I am typing this so I apologize if its short. The St. Clair is in nice condition inside and out, has the cotton suspension with the female snaps for a rayon sweatband.

Default Transitional St. Clair and Early Unpainted Rayon Westinghouse, new arrivals!

This is the third time I am typing this so I apologize if its short.

The St. Clair is in nice condition inside and out, has the cotton suspension with the female snaps for a rayon sweatband. The Westinghouse has the square washers and rayon suspension. It has some serial numbers written on the V-loops and I have added the rayon sweatband for looks. The original fixed chinstrap is still attached although it looks like it was repaired at one point.

And I was wondering if early liners were initially left unpainted, like this Westinghouse, and then the design was later changed to have paint, or was it just a production variant?

Thanks

Alec
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Transitional St. Clair and Early Unpainted Rayon Westinghouse, new arrivals!   Transitional St. Clair and Early Unpainted Rayon Westinghouse, new arrivals!  

Transitional St. Clair and Early Unpainted Rayon Westinghouse, new arrivals!   Transitional St. Clair and Early Unpainted Rayon Westinghouse, new arrivals!  

?

Default Re: Transitional St. Clair and Early Unpainted Rayon Westinghouse, new arrivals!

There is some debate on this question Alec. It seems that some liners left the factory unpainted, the debate is really about the reason for this. Some early liners had poorly adhering paint that would not last long in the field, it simply fell off, so look for any traces of paint around the rivets or grommet. This seems to be what you have. All early liners were intended to be painted I believe.
    What a stunning pair though! I wish there was an envy smiley.
    Now, if you have a Hood Rubber one you don't need..............

Kind Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Default Re: Transitional St. Clair and Early Unpainted Rayon Westinghouse, new arrivals!

Thanks for the reply andy, on closer inspection it looks like this one was painted at one time. There is nothing left of it except some around the rivets and grommet.. and i have no hood rubber liners right now but i will keep you in mind!

Thanks

Alec