Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Two WWII M1 helmets found I think - ID help

Article about: Hi All, I got 3 helmets at an estate sale. The first is a front seam, stainless rim one. I joined to get the scoop on the second helmet (on left). I'm not a helmet collector, but for some re

?

Default Two WWII M1 helmets found I think - ID help

Hi All, I got 3 helmets at an estate sale. The first (right) is a front seam, stainless rim one. I joined to get the scoop on the second helmet (on left). I'm not a helmet collector, but for some reason have been attracted to them the past few months. At first I thought I scored big, it has a camouflage cover that I dreamed was WWII USMC, and a Firestone WWII liner. Then another forum told me the cover is vietnam era, so I thought the liner was mistakenly put into the newer helmet. I took it out, and the cover is marked 1964.

I started researching the covered one, and now I'm thinking it is a late WWII, refurbished for Vietnam. See if you agree. It has a rear seam, and I think regular steel rim. There are spot welds on the rim in places, or "crimps." It looks like there are two layers of paint outside, and inside is painted too. I can't tell the rough material, sand or cork. The heat stamp is 1196A, which I've seen referred to as late 1944.

But see the straps, with the little ball catch? That's not WWII is it? Thanks!

Hi the shell is a ww2 McCord shell,with Korean period OD chinstraps with OD painted steel hardware.would like pics of the Liner/Liners etc.also the Brodie Tin pot in the middle.
    The cover is known as the Mitchell camo/woodland cover produced from 1959 to 1975.

The cover is a Jungle Leaf Camo cover, also known as the Mitchell Cover. i'm not sure of an exact date but if you post just the cover somewhere then I am willing to bet that someone can date it, although I assume it is 1964. It is showing the inside "Beach' side in the first picture, which was normally worn during seasons where most vegetation turned yellow in Vietnam, or when on a firebase. Sometimes there are graffiti on the covers, which make them more valuable if original. I can't say much about the Helmets themselves but I have a feeling your research is correct. Great pieces!

The cover is contract dated 64.

Here's a list of contracts

Mitchell Cover Contract List - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

Seems to be a refurbished late WW2 M1, with the brownish Korea-era repaint and Vietnam-era clio-on chinstraps. WW2 liners were still in use in Vietnam in good numbers, so together with the cover this would make a nice typical example of a Vietnam-era helmet.

The clip on chin straps are green OD painted and so are 1950s Korean War era but probably used well into the 1960s. Nice trio of helmets you have well done