Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

u.s helmet

Article about: here is the only picture i have of the helmet of a up comming auction..could someone be so nice and post two helmets one post war and one ww2 of the inside so i will know what to look for wh

?

Default u.s helmet

here is the only picture i have of the helmet of a up comming auction..could someone be so nice and post two helmets one post war and one ww2 of the inside so i will know what to look for when i go to bid?thanks everyone maybe there are certain markings or the hooks on the chin strap is different?ok..thanks so much
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture u.s helmet  

Default Re: u.s helmet

Hi, Pammy !

Judging by the cover pattern, it looks to be Vietnam era, or possibly a bit later.
    The M1 was used into the 1980's. These were selling at the Toronto Military
    Show this past weekend for $25 complete with liner and camo cover.

Below is a Vietnam issue lid - Note the swivel bales, and the large metal clips
    that hold the green chinstrap material onto them:

File:M1helmetshell.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WWII M1 interior - Note the light khaki coloured chinstrap is attached to
    fixed bales, and how the 2nd leather chinstrap of the liner is clipped on:

File:M1HelmetDiagram.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-12-2011 at 04:17 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

thanks so much steve !! your always a big help and i will now know what to look for ..! i did just miss a tank helmet ww2 u.s as it had metal ear flaps on the side that went up or down..i should have bought it as it went for cheap and it was for sure ww2 as thats what the estate vet was in..and the guy that bought it told me but i realy did not pay enough attention to the detail but now the next time i should be ready for the next one..talk soon steve i will be intouch this friday if thats ok with you?take care and thank you !

?

Hi Pammy,
    Steve is correct in his assumption that this lid is most likely Vietnam era or later based on the cover. A Vietnam lid may fetch more than one from the 80's, but not too much. The camo cover will be dated on the markings on the underside (brown camo side which can't be seen here). You'll want to remove the cover to expose the lid as there is a slim chance there could be unit insignia visible on the lid or the liner. This of course will increase the value.

While this is most likely Vietnam or later, it's possible the lid or liner could be WWII or Korean War issue. If that's the case, again the value will increase compared to a Vietnam or later M1. Steve has provided some good references to help make this determination.

Good luck!

?

thanks eric,nice to here from you and hope all is well?take care eric and thanks again..

?

Thanks, Pammy! Nice to see that you're feeling better and getting back into the swing of things!

?

thank eric ! yeah,its the only thing i can do is just keep on pushing/moveing ! thanks eric you have a great night...!

Quote by pammy View Post
    thanks so much steve !! your always a big help and i will now know what to look for ..! i did just miss a tank helmet ww2 u.s as it had metal ear flaps on the side that went up or down..i should have bought it as it went for cheap and it was for sure ww2 as thats what the estate vet was in..and the guy that bought it told me but i realy did not pay enough attention to the detail but now the next time i should be ready for the next one..talk soon steve i will be intouch this friday if thats ok with you?take care and thank you !
    Sure, Pammy. You can get in touch with me if you'd like..........

( US helmets with metal ear flaps are WWII AAF Aircrew flak helmets ! )
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    Hi Pammy,
    Steve is correct in his assumption that this lid is most likely Vietnam era or later based on the cover. A Vietnam lid may fetch more than one from the 80's, but not too much. The camo cover will be dated on the markings on the underside (brown camo side which can't be seen here). You'll want to remove the cover to expose the lid as there is a slim chance there could be unit insignia visible on the lid or the liner. This of course will increase the value.

While this is most likely Vietnam or later, it's possible the lid or liner could be WWII or Korean War issue. If that's the case, again the value will increase compared to a Vietnam or later M1. Steve has provided some good references to help make this determination.

Good luck!
    I agree with you fully yuenglling months ago bought a helmet with veitnam camo, took off the camo and it was WWII shell in very good condition cork texture and everything.