Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

unused usmc cover

Article about: so why would they go back to slits when makeing these covers again in the 50s.

Default Re: unused usmc cover

so why would they go back to slits when makeing these covers again in the 50s.

?

I think because having the slits was always in the plan, but towards the end of WW2 they were anticipating the invasion of Japan and needed a lot more covers. So as an expedient they stopped adding slits. Once the war ended, and a surplus was on hand, the slits were reinstated. As I mentioned earlier the exact same thing happened in 1991 with desert PASGT covers. There is a year or two there without slits during the main part of the conflict.

Looks like he doctored up the document that I posted to demonstrate what he believes to be the progression.
    There is a theory on USMF that the covers without slits actually came out last.
    I am not saying that the theory is right or wrong. All that I am saying is that at this point in time the non slitted covers are still named "First Pattern" and more expensive and desirable to collectors.
    Even under this theory, the non slitted covers could be more rare.

ok i looked at that pfd and yea your right anton67 its around the other way or the same way that you posted. i think the only way to prove this then is with images with the right dates. and this is the same as the EGA stamp on ww2 covers was it done or not. ive been looking but no luck so far ill have to start seeing now if theres slits or too.

but realy 500 bucks for a unused cover slits or no slits with no helmet or liner.

im just wondering is it the availability of these items that makeing them rare and expensive. or is it what people pay on ebay that makes these items rare and expensive.

That is all that I have been trying to say: $500 for just a cover, seriously??????
    Just because an item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it doesn't mean that they didn't overpay.

?

I didn't 'doctor' the document, I updated it to reflect the most current information available. Here, read for yourselves.
    USMC WWII "Frogskin" Covers - Rethinking The Norm - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

You doctored it.
    I acknowledged the discussion on USMF. Why do you keep going back to it?
    Again for the 50th time I am not saying they are wrong. Hopefully you can get this through your head this time: All I am saying is that the names haven't changed just because you want them to.
    They are published as I stated several times before.

UPDATE: Here is one that did not even reach $300.00.
    USMC WW2 Helmet Cover 2nd Model Nice | eBay
    Also, I just picked one up for $300 with the diamond EGA patch.
    As I said before, the buyer overpaid.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unused usmc cover   unused usmc cover  

unused usmc cover  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast