Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Unusual

Article about: \\$2050.00 with five days to go....... Best Regards, Andy Edit: Had a message back from the seller. Seems he does not care too much about the link I sent him that NickD kindly provided.

?

Default Re: Unusual

Quote by Bugme View Post
    The painted over net configuration was done in the early part of WWII. However, the net used to make the helmet in question was not used by U.S. troops and was not available until long after the time period in which this helmet would have been found. Conclusion: a fool and his money...
    I believe that's correct. The weave on the net clearly shows the 44 close weave, with a band underneath, not relevant to that theatre.

It just makes me angry.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Again just my opinion
    Is it just me or am i correct to be very wary of helmets with no paint on the rims. In my opinion it just doesnít come of naturally but has to be worn off or chipped. This one looks like the paint has been sanded off. I can understand if it was just the front and the back of the helmet that was worn as helmets were used as digging tools as well, as you know.
    Unless the so called trooper forgot to camo that bright shiny rim because he thought it looked nice when the lights hit it at night lol.
    If it is a dud I do feel slightly sorry for the buyer but as bugme says a fool and his money. They must have a lot more money than me thatís for sure.
    Rod

?

Quote by plumbob View Post
    Again just my opinion
    Is it just me or am i correct to be very wary of helmets with no paint on the rims. In my opinion it just doesnít come of naturally but has to be worn off or chipped. This one looks like the paint has been sanded off. I can understand if it was just the front and the back of the helmet that was worn as helmets were used as digging tools as well, as you know.
    Unless the so called trooper forgot to camo that bright shiny rim because he thought it looked nice when the lights hit it at night lol.
    If it is a dud I do feel slightly sorry for the buyer but as bugme says a fool and his money. They must have a lot more money than me thatís for sure.
    Rod
    Shining rims are usually a sign of an early M1, as the early ones had stainless steel for the rims. Stainless steel does not hold paint very well, and later versions used the same steel as the pot is made from to avoid this problem. I have seen a few M1's where the rims have been hand painted by the original owners, so I think it must have been quite a problem.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123