Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual marked M1 helmet liner

Article about: Hi guys. I bought this liner on the pretext of it being a P55 as it has no eyelet and has the cotton webbing instead of the previously used herring bone twill webbing. The liner has the mold

Default Unusual marked M1 helmet liner

Hi guys. I bought this liner on the pretext of it being a P55 as it has no eyelet and has the cotton webbing instead of the previously used herring bone twill webbing. The liner has the mold in stamp for Westinghouse and I could also see a faint inlaid maker label which I assumed to be be Micarta label which was a division of Westinghouse. On closer inspection it turns out to be a CAPAC inlaid label with the year 1957. Now I own quite a few Westinghouse liners from the early 1950's which were rigged up by CAPAC and restamped with their logo. I didn't realise it had continued on into the late 50's. Why would CAPAC still be using Westinghouse liners when they were producing there own? Why would Westinghouse be supplying CAPAC with liners when the two firms had been given contracts by the US government? My only thought would be surplus liners in government stocks but then wouldn't they be the ones left over from ww2 or the Korean War with the eyelet? Am I over thinking this I've read through Reynosa's book on Post Ww2 helmets and can't seem to find an answer. Thanks for looking guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual marked M1 helmet liner   Unusual marked M1 helmet liner  

Unusual marked M1 helmet liner   Unusual marked M1 helmet liner  

Unusual marked M1 helmet liner  

Its all in Mark's book Ian,bit late now as i'm pee eyed will help you tomorrow mate.

I think there's a huge differance between something being in the book and understanding exactly what is written etc,the book explains everything about lend lease molds and tool heads and so on,this is a rare liner and rarely show in todays market hold on to it or ship it off to me i'll always make room for it,just try and have another read bud if your still struggling then i'll try and help you.......

page 37 Ian,Capac using cotton imprenated markings same as westinghouse.
    Last edited by ruddersrangers44; 03-18-2016 at 06:19 PM.

Had another read and what I got from it and I quote 'CAPAC also chose to adopt the square impregnated cotton tag printed to identify their helmets, thus ignoring the mold-in mark.' So Westinghouse were making molds and the Government were buying and storing them and then handing them out to be rigged up by whichever company acquired them? It would be like me painting a master piece but some other bugger signs their name on it

Basically correct Ian,when given a contract you had whatever presses and tooling heads you were given,so if Capac recieved a Westinghouse tool head then that would show in the Liner as you mentioned Capac would then add there own I.D which by 1957 was the cotton square same technique as westinghouse,your liner is rare as usually its the 62/63 Firestone/Marmac versions that show,the 1955-1957 are seldom seen bud.

Is the CAPAC foot print on top on the Westinghouse Micarta tag?

Hi no it's a CAPAC liner but they used a Westinghouse mold to make the liner hence the label to identify it as a CAPAC liner. They started using the inlaid labels from 1956 and my one is dated 1957