Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US 101 Airborne?

Article about: Hi All I'm not an expert of that experienced in the M1 area, but recently came across this helmet from a dealer I have purchased from before that was being sold as a WW2 US airborne helmet f

?

Default US 101 Airborne?

Hi All

I'm not that experienced in the M1 helmet area, but recently came across this helmet from a dealer I have purchased from before that was being sold as a WW2 US airborne helmet from the 101st. The price was such that I am okay with it being a 'display piece' if not 100% authentic, but wanted to put it in front of the experts on that forum to see what feedback it got.

Pics as follows.

Thanks for any comments/feedback
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US 101 Airborne?   US 101 Airborne?  

US 101 Airborne?   US 101 Airborne?  

US 101 Airborne?  

?

Any feedback, anyone?

I'm a bit scared to reply these days on US stuff! but just a two cent opinion from me, I'm not liking the fluffy wear M1 chin strap, none of mine ever have this wear trait.

Just my opinion as I have seen this same liner in Vietnam era helmets and not WW2.

Wait for more thoughts.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

A re-enactor piece, surely.

Cheers,
    Bob

Looks dressed up to me, shell may well be period but the odds of it 101st are lets say very slim, the liner again looks to be put together, someone like Jake would be able to give you more information, if its cheap a good display piece.

Chin strap web is deffo reproduction just took a look at my rubbish!

?

Looks like he got busted too!

Bob

Fluffy repro right

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    Looks dressed up to me, shell may well be period but the odds of it 101st are lets say very slim, the liner again looks to be put together, someone like Jake would be able to give you more information, if its cheap a good display piece.
    Yep, I agree that the fact that this seems to represent 2nd Bn 506th PIR 101 Abn Div would make it very expensive if genuine. Also I don't recall ever seeing the Ace of Spades with quite that shape especially the stem. As Bob says it appears the wearer may have been "busted" as the officer rank markings front and rear have been blacked out and replaced by the horizontal rear stripe for an NCO. Not a deal breaker in itself but this being done with black rather than green does seem a bit odd when there would be no trouble finding "rivers" of green paint during the supposed period. Also as mentioned above by Larry; the liner has the Westinghouse mark but I think the additional stamp below it (?D86?) and the absence of the frontal grommet indicates later production. I don't like the webbing / straps either which all look repro / re-manufactured plus I would expect to see much more evidence of wear in a piece supposedly 70+ years old.
    It would be truly marvellous if it were a genuine "out of the woodwork" piece but if it was cheap enough it will stand duty as a display piece as a genuine one is more rare than chickens teeth!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast