Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

US M-1 Heat Stamps as Found on WW II Canadian Issued helmets With Provanance

Article about: First off a brief back ground on the 200,000 M-1's that were procured by Canada and arrived at NDHQ In April of 1943 which subsequently 50,000 of these M-1's were sent to Edmonton and Vancou

?

Default US M-1 Heat Stamps as Found on WW II Canadian Issued helmets With Provanance

First off a brief back ground on the 200,000 M-1's that were procured by Canada and arrived at NDHQ In April of 1943 which subsequently 50,000 of these M-1's were sent to Edmonton and Vancouver in June 1943 to equip Pacific Command as well as of course, 13 Brigade which landed on Kiska in the Aleutian Islands ,
    And and additional un-disclosed number used by the 18th Brigade here in Canada and abroad and reportedly a further 30,000 going to Wingate's Chindits in Burma in 1945 ( some further information has come to light that an additional 70,000 had indeed been issued out to Canadian troops during the latter part of the war but as this information is not mine and as far as I know has not been made public as of yet so for the time being I am reluctant to go into anymore details ) .
    It is thought at the end of the war 20,000 US M-1 helmets that were procured by Canada still sat un-issued in Canadian Army Depots .
    Now this brings us to the meat of the discussion I had posted my own M-1 front seam fixed bail McCord ( which by the way was a Canadian purchase ) to another venue for discussion the heat stamp number is 364A which would put the production date to approximately November,December 1942 .
    It was brought to my attention that the heat stamp number on my example falls into the range of known Canadian examples with provenance.
    I would like to thank Roger Lucy for allowing me to share the information as seen below and in doing so I shared this information on an unrelated thread on the Canadian Military Collectors Forum and was pleased to be able to add two more examples with provenance to the list of known originals I thought some of you gents might find the particulars on the heat stamps interesting and useful.

The first named example resides in the collection of Roger Lucy and was issued to a Capt Elder's who was stationed in Nanaimo BC, in 1943 with service number and heat stamp of 278A this helmet has a Hawley liner .
    Other Canadian provenanced M1s have the following heat stamps
    268A has a St Clair Liner and is named to a soldier of the Brockville Rifles
    270D Hood Rubber liner has a postwar Western Command Service Number
    278A MSA liner has a postwar Central Ontario Command Service Number
    278 has a bi-coloured net and a postwar Western Ontario Command Service Number
    282A. The liner is a Westinghouse. The leather chinstrap on the liner has the service number K601525 written on it - this corresponds to a member of No. 110 BTC in the Reserve Force MD 11.
    283A complete with a Hawley liner and adorned with a Canadian flag and the word CANADA painted on the front.
    327D also a St Clair Liner
    363B Inland liner, post-war Canadian paint job and an early Mk.II chin-strap
    363C has a Hawley liner
    367 Regimental Police paint job postwar Central Command Service Number

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M-1 Heat Stamps as Found on WW II Canadian Issued helmets With Provanance  

Great stuff Mark and to Roger to,First things that jump out at me are the quality much rarer Liners that were issued in these sets,I have 3 so-called original sets all carry early heatstamps and yet all retain high pressure Westinghouse Liners,unless these too were originally fitted out with the Rarer liners too as listed above and were lost or swopped out sometime during there service life,another note they all only carry the letter prefix A,B,C,D and no higher,think I need to do some homework,maybe the higher letter prefixes came later on with the rear seams,good stuff to know about,shame your shell never carried its original Liner then it that would be a talking point even more so,thanks and keep it going Bud..............