Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Us m1

Article about: This helmet has interested me as it has a 1969 dated cover. but my thoughts on the shell is that it is a much earlier helmet. and liner.

Default Us m1

This helmet has interested me as it has a 1969 dated cover. but my thoughts on the shell is that it is a much earlier helmet. and liner.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Us m1   Us m1  

Us m1   Us m1  

Us m1   Us m1  

G'day Geelong,
    It's a very nice VN era M1. I love the '69 dated ERDL cover. These covers are not often seen with such an early date, all that I have had in hand are dated from the '70's. The shell and liner look pretty standard for the era as well. The liner may have a date on the webbing under the leather sweat band or under the webbing on the actual liner. I would guess early 1960's. The McCord shell appears to be a rear seam example and looking at the heat stamp I would say it could be roughly early-mid 1945 manufacture.
    Cheers

WW2 McCord rear seamed shell late war produced Mark,most likely around june/july 45.

I think the liner is intresting how green it is cheers mark

?

Quite possibly a USMC issued ERDL cover, I have an identical one with known provenance to USMC Force Recon.

Hi that's a great set you have Mark As Jake states it's a late war M1 so would have originally come with sewn on chinstraps. The chinstraps you have on your pot have the OD green painted hardware which are found on helmets produced in the 1950s.
    The liner is a P55 liner and has the US government mold stamp which means this liner was made using a government leased mold. The MII marking was added by the company MARMAC to identify it as their product. MARMAC was the company formed after CAPAC folded to carry on liner production and received its first contract for these liners in 1962.
    Your ERDL (Engineer Research and Development Laboratory) pattern cover with the 1969 date is really nice I own one myself This ERDL pattern was actually developed in 1948 but was never taken up, but in 1967 the Marine Corps Landing Force Development Centre recommended the immediate adoption of this pattern. The first contracts went out in 1969 but the helmet covers were not completed and released until 30 December 1971. The fighting in Vietnam and the withdrawal of troops meant that these covers would not really have made it over to Vietnam in large numbers due to large quantities of Mitchel pattern covers left over and still being produced right into the 1970s.
    I have added a screen shot of video footage of marines training in the early 70s. You can make out ERDL and Mitchel pattern covers but the marine on the left has the marine corps pattern that you see with the EGA stamp
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Us m1  
    Last edited by Redstalker; 04-23-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Ian your worse than me Lol..........................good info Bud......

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Ian your worse than me Lol..........................good info Bud......
    I was feeling all nerdy when I was typing it

Thank you very much for the information and input. Ian.
    I have been chasing 69 dated ERDL cover and set for a while now. would really like to get one with a EGA stamp but I am happy with it. thank you again mark.....

You want the ERDL pattern with a EGA stamp? I'm sure I've seen one for sale on the many websites I search. I will try and find it for you