Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

US M1 helmet need help

Article about: Hi,got offer for this M1 helmet,could you please tell me what you think about it and how much it is worth ? liner is marked 1953,so it is Korea era...

Default US M1 helmet need help

Hi,got offer for this M1 helmet,could you please tell me what you think about it and how much it is worth ? liner is marked 1953,so it is Korea era...US M1 helmet need helpUS M1 helmet need helpUS M1 helmet need helpUS M1 helmet need helpUS M1 helmet need helpUS M1 helmet need help

?

What the liner says isnt always what the shell says. I believe theres a lotcode on the shell which would tell you the date of when the shell was made, should be near the front just where the front bend begins? I'm fairly sure so someone will prove me wrong there. the netting and the sack covering the helmet shell are post war Dutch for the M53 helmets. Your shell probably is one of these, too.

Big pass for me.

Regards,
    Bas

Hi, not really my area the M1 helmet, but is this a US lid? Looks as though it may be a Dutch clone to me, but I will happily stand corrected. Leon.

Quote by Gimmie View Post
    What the liner says isnt always what the shell says. I believe theres a lotcode on the shell which would tell you the date of when the shell was made, should be near the front just where the front bend begins? I'm fairly sure so someone will prove me wrong there. the netting and the sack covering the helmet shell are post war Dutch for the M53 Verblifa and the Linneman and Schnettzer helmets. Your shell probably is one of these, too.

Big pass for me.

Regards,
    Bas
    You beat me to the type writer Bas! Glad to see I was not making a complete buffoon of myself by "chipping in" where I know very little! Leon.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    You beat me to the type writer Bas! Glad to see I was not making a complete buffoon of myself by "chipping in" where I know very little! Leon.
    Only reason I know is because my uncle wore one in service!

And let me correct myself on the makers; the late ones with the sack and net were from around the 80's; some of the last M1 clones the Dutch military used. They were made by Verenigte Deutsche Nickel-werke (VDN), Linneman und Schnetzer (LS stamp) and Schuberth Werk (SW). Same goes for my uncles helmet here. If this is also a late one like my uncles', then it will be stamped VDN, LS or SW on the front edge of the helmet

Regards,
    Bas

As stated above it is a Dutch M1 clone, but it seems to be an early one judging from the brass parts of the chinstraps, 1950's-60's I think. There might be a stamp on the rim on the inside, probably 'VB' + year.

?

Quote by earlymb View Post
    As stated above it is a Dutch M1 clone, but it seems to be an early one judging from the brass parts of the chinstraps, 1950's-60's I think. There might be a stamp on the rim on the inside, probably 'VB' + year.
    The brass configuration was used on the later ones just as much as it was used on the early ones.
    These pictures are from a mid-late 80's helmet.

US M1 helmet need help
    US M1 helmet need help

Regards,
    Bas

I know but the later ones are chemically blackened.

This helmet might be a rather desirable Dutch navy helmet. The navy prefered original M1's to the Euro clones.

The liner might very well be a fifties US product. The nape strap is.

Dutch clones used a non-adjustable nape strap. The shell might be US as well. Of course you can't see that by the pictures you have available.

In the Dutch navy the M1's were modified to Dutch standard in the course of their usfull lives. Dull flat olive sprayed, without cork.

Cheers,
    Emile