Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

US M1 helmet - original?

Article about: Hi Guys - I'm a US helmet "virgin", and reading about them as I write this...but I want to post these pics - it's so rare to see US helmets in Hungary (where I live), and to tell t

?

Default US M1 helmet - original?

Hi Guys - I'm a US helmet "virgin", and reading about them as I write this...but I want to post these pics - it's so rare to see US helmets in Hungary (where I live), and to tell the truth; I'm not expecting anything good with this one, but who knows...

So according to the seller, this M1 is WW2 (the shell) made by "Schulter" (the "S" marking is there on one of the pics). The liner is "Korean war" era - well, almost...1954 date can be seen, so it was made a year after the war. Looks like it has a missing head-band.

So is he telling the truth, or BS?

(PS: I'm just reading it, that 2 million "Schulter" helmets were made, opposed to 20 million made by "McCord".)

If this one is original - is there any way to get an original head-band for it?

Cheers,
    Fabe

US M1 helmet - original?US M1 helmet - original?US M1 helmet - original?US M1 helmet - original?US M1 helmet - original?US M1 helmet - original?US M1 helmet - original?

I think paint and cork finish of the shell is original WW2 but the rear chinstrap bail is a post-war addition. The chinstraps might to be Vietnam-era para version but I would need better pics to be sure.... are the metal bits marked in any way? The liner is French I think, certainly not US. I know the Israelis modified M1 shells for their airborne troops by adding a rear bail, but there might be other countries too.

The SHELL is original WW2 but it's been modified for use with a 3 point chin strap, the rest are post WW2 add ons

probably used by the IDF , Israeli military, they were known to use a mixture like that, it's no longer considered a US helmet since it's modified.

I would classify it as Israeli surplus.

US value for a helmet set like this is around $40

+1 for the comments and battle gear final notes.
    John

?

Thanks everyone for all the info - I'll get my arse on some M1 studying, for I have dozens of assorted cold war helmets, but mostly "Warsaw Pact" countries. I'm planning to get an original 'Korean War' M1 one of these days - of course I'll post pics here first...

Cheers,
    Fabe