Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US M1 Helmet querry

Article about: Hi, first post so appologies for getting right down to business Anyway I have an M1 that I've been given, and I've tried to guess the date of its production (theres a few websites out there

bindi
    ?

Default US M1 Helmet querry

Hi, first post so appologies for getting right down to business

Anyway I have an M1 that I've been given, and I've tried to guess the date of its production (theres a few websites out there that helped). However I'm still not really any the wiser, other than its a rear seam, swivel bale.

Can anyone tell the rim construction on this? and give me a better definitive date ? and appologies for the pictures.

Thanks in advance

Bindi
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M1 Helmet querry   US M1 Helmet querry  

US M1 Helmet querry   US M1 Helmet querry  

?

Default re: US M1 Helmet querry

right ok first of all welcome the rim is constructed of none magnetic stainless steel to avoid interference with compasses & alike but this caused a problem of the paint wearing off leaving a shiny rim, i would say late war construction as i have noted that on war time swivel bail M1's they sit higher up close to the rim post war ones seem to move down away from the rim, cant really give you an exact date as these were made between 1944 & 1945 & i would also say it was US issue not foreign use, anyway that's all just my opinion someone else may say something different but i hope this info is of some use

Booma
    ?

I have one just like it. It's after 1944 because the seam line is at the back of the helmet.

No need add any further