Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

US M1 Helmet - questions about paint and condition

Article about: Hi folks, I have this M1 helment - rescued from a prop department. I know it is WWII era but the paint and the diamond symbol have me puzzled. It looks like the shell was used post war. It h

Default US M1 Helmet - questions about paint and condition

Hi folks, I have this M1 helment - rescued from a prop department. I know it is WWII era but the paint and the diamond symbol have me puzzled. It looks like the shell was used post war. It has two weld repairs and a small, white diamond painted on the front. The liner is an MSA WWII era liner with a replaced sweat band. Any feedback is appreciated. NH

US M1 Helmet - questions about paint and conditionUS M1 Helmet - questions about paint and condition

Default Re: US M1 Helmet - questions about paint and condition

Chin strap is obviously post war too. NH

neil i believe the shell has been painted and marked for whatever production it was used in and the liner simply added for authenticity,as the liner is in fantastic condition with original wartime factory paint and the shell has had welding done then there's no way this pair have been together since the begining of its life,also strange that 1960's T1 straps were left on if it was for a wartime period piece?maybe the shell was used in a vietnam period instead hence the colour and straps,as for the liner you most likely would'nt see it in the production anyway,all the best dave.

Thanks Dave. I don' think the diamond was applied by the theater group. It looks like they replaced the straps though as you suggested. I guess the liner is a rather desirable MSA type. They must have pulled these two together from a large pile of helmets. I know they came from the Great War Store in Allentown (now closed) and if I remember correctly he had a big box full of shells and liners all mixed up. Maybe the diamond is a Korea or Vietnam era addition? NH

your most likely correct about the diamond,but that is one poor repaint on that lid,for field applied rough at its best,but could well be,find an original wartime unpainted lid to put that great liner in,cheers dave
    Last edited by moaning minnie; 07-31-2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: written out twice

Yes, I'm going to look for a clean helmet and ditch this sorry looking example. The MSA liner needs a correct sweat band and chin strap. I'm hoping I can find original examples in good condition. Any idea what WWII shells sell for these days? NH

- - Updated - -

One other thing - the liner has a stamped 4 2 marking on the left side. It is visible in the photo. The numbers are about half an inch high. Any idea what that means? Year of manufacture? NH

where do i begin neil,as it looks like a late war liner,cheapest option rear seam with original bartacked chinstraps probably around the £20-£40 depending on condition and so-on,front seam swivel bale as above £40-60,but on ebay UK there isn't that much choice,on ebay USA is better but then you hit the much higher shipping and custom fees etc,so thats an expensive way and forget the leather chinstrap that will cost you more than the helmet itself,even late war £30-£50,sweatband late war £30 try to buy a complete set in the long run would work out cheaper,or get repro straps( but its not my thing),and attach them to a shell only lid,complete late war £100-£150,that way you would have the chinstrap + sweatband,and you could resell the liner to reclaim some of your cash back,let me know neil what you decide,all the best dave.
    Last edited by moaning minnie; 07-31-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: add more info

JBR
    ?

Just a thought, could the shell be ex-Peruvian army? Three things point that way: the Peruvians used quite a mixture of ex-US helmets including WW2 vintage, the paint described and in the photo could well be Peruvian (see threads in recent World Helmets Forum) and welded-up stress cracks sem to be something the Peruvians went in for in a big way! Best Regards,