Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US M1 Schlueter.

Article about: Hi Guys, I want to share these photo's with you, and hopefully to get some info or way's to find out about it's original owner. This helmet (rear seam) has been marked near the "S"

Default US M1 Schlueter.

Hi Guys,

I want to share these photo's with you, and hopefully to get some info or way's to find out about it's original owner.

This helmet (rear seam) has been marked near the "S" and the heat stamp 533A with the name John Love ,
    I hope the scratched in name is original , and also assume that he was an NCO judging by the faint markings on the rear of this lid, again i think i am right in saying , these markings were only used in the ETO.

Any advice or info guy's.( Ps. i have'nt shown any pic's of the liner as its post war Belgian, so no point really)

Cheers
    Gaz
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M1 Schlueter.   US M1 Schlueter.  

US M1 Schlueter.   US M1 Schlueter.  

?

Default Re: US M1 Schlueter.

nice lid mate but cant really do much with the name as quite a few people came up with the same name so with out his army s/n im not sure if would be possible to pin this one down ?????

Quote by NickD View Post
    nice lid mate but cant really do much with the name as quite a few people came up with the same name so with out his army s/n im not sure if would be possible to pin this one down ?????
    Hi Nick,
    Thanks, i thought it might be a long shot, i 've noticed you've posted some really nice M1's, any more to show us??

Cheers Mate.
    Gaz

?

hiya Gaz

ive just got one today which is also a SCHLUETER made helmet but has been reissued for the VN era then had its chin strap up dated to the last version to be used when i get the time i'll post some pic's

I did a Veterans Administration grave search on John Love, There are a lot of John Loves, I'm sure there are quite a few still living too. John is a super common name and Love is fairly common too. It would be cool to find him but I think the order is too tall. Cool helmet though.

Mike

the chances of your helmet being used in the ETO during WWII are very unlikely, rear seam helmets were produced from late 1944 - Aug 1945

the war in europe ended in early March 1945 , so it's unlikely these late war helmets made it to the war zone in the ETO

most likely used after WWII , maybe Korean war / Vietnam war

the faint marking on the back looks like it could be old dried tape residue? sometimes they put tape on the back and marked the soldiers name and rank on it.

Quote by Pompa Mike View Post
    I did a Veterans Administration grave search on John Love, There are a lot of John Loves, I'm sure there are quite a few still living too. John is a super common name and Love is fairly common too. It would be cool to find him but I think the order is too tall. Cool helmet though.

Mike
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for looking that up for me,nice one mate.
    It would be cool to find this fella, and maybe present him his lid, if he still around, ahh the stories he could tell!!!!!

Cheers Mate.
    Gaz.

Quote by battle gear View Post
    the chances of your helmet being used in the ETO during WWII are very unlikely, rear seam helmets were produced from late 1944 - Aug 1945

the war in europe ended in early March 1945 , so it's unlikely these late war helmets made it to the war zone in the ETO

most likely used after WWII , maybe Korean war / Vietnam war

the faint marking on the back looks like it could be old dried tape residue? sometimes they put tape on the back and marked the soldiers name and rank on it.
    Hi Mate,
    Yeah thought that might be the case, but hey a man can dream
    thanks for the info though, i just getting into M1's, so any info is cool!
    Cheers
    Gaz