Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US medic M1 helmet

Article about: I'm not much of a Helmet collector but couldn't pass on this today. Under a loop the paint appears era original to WWII. It is a fixed bale with what appears to be an original war II liner w

Default US medic M1 helmet

I'm not much of a Helmet collector but couldn't pass on this today. Under a loop the paint appears era original to WWII. It is a fixed bale with what appears to be an original war II liner with the sweat band missing and chin strap broken but there.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US medic M1 helmet   US medic M1 helmet  

US medic M1 helmet   US medic M1 helmet  

US medic M1 helmet   US medic M1 helmet  

US medic M1 helmet  
    Last edited by Logictox; 03-11-2014 at 03:20 AM.

?

The lack of wear on the painted red cross insignia isn't what I would expect to see on a 69 year old helmet. Contact the US EPA and get a lead paint test kit and run it over the white paint. If it tests positive for lead paint then I am wrong.
    White lead paint is 10% linseed oil and 90% white lead.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    The lack of wear on the painted red cross insignia isn't what I would expect to see on a 69 year old helmet. Contact the US EPA and get a lead paint test kit and run it over the white paint. If it tests positive for lead paint then I am wrong.
    White lead paint is 10% linseed oil and 90% white lead.
    Steve I appreciate your input. This did come out of the collection of an author of several books on US helmets that is a friend of mine. I trust his opinion on this one and will take it at face value. Even he said he could not believe the value of these has not gone up as other WWII helmets have.

Great looking lid either way,Has this been shown on US militaria Forum?just wondering what there opinion would be as they have really good knowledgeable members with a great Medic M1 sub-section............

I can't comment I was burned on my medic helmet. Looks good but so did mine. I hope it is real. You will get good advice here as you know but Jake is also right post it on USMF and check there also. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Great looking lid either way,Has this been shown on US militaria Forum?just wondering what there opinion would be as they have really good knowledgeable members with a great Medic M1 sub-section............

Great idea, I will post it over there. I know if there is an issue I can get a refund. In hand it sure looks good though. Where the paint is coming up it is rock hard and it's actually the green top layer that is letting go. You can see the different colors of green where it has come up in some areas and old rust in the other areas.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US medic M1 helmet  

A great M1!!

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that without it in hand, one can only speculate on originality of such things such as paintwork; of course sometimes it's painfully obvious (such as hard sanding) but I have not yet developed an professional eye for such detail to eliminate uses of acid etc. In saying that, I think the medic looks original. The paintwork on the shell certainly looks period; even has a 'lighter tinge OD' (for want of a better word) that Schlueter used. Out of curiosity, is there an S marked inside the rim close to the heat stamp?

In any case, I hope you find out mate

Regards,
    Chris

The shininess of the paint Does look like lead paint....but that doesn't always mean much either..
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by christek View Post

Out of curiosity, is there an S marked inside the rim close to the heat stamp?

There is a heat stamp but I believe this to be a McCord and not a Schlueter. I also own a captains helmet from WWII that is a Schlueter. I believe they actually made a better helmet as I tend to see less stress cracks in those or that is my own observation.

Looking at where the paint has flaked off, the shade of green is lighter than the surrounding area. This would suggest (to me) that the insignia had probably been applied a long time ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast