Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Us navy helmet

Article about: Hello, I’ve found this helmet in a car boot sale. Liner is westinghouse. Brass blackened a washers. Name in it but cannot read it. Blue navy color. Helmet shell with blue gray painted band

Tried to make photos of red paint but very difficult to see
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Us navy helmet   Us navy helmet  

Could be rust pits also very hard to see.

I'd love to help more! I just can't tell from the pics! liner is post war & is it original to the helmet?, the shell is war time, but I can't see the paint well enough! Has it a heat stamp? Here is my USN WW2 M1 for you to compare with (mind you battleship grey varies)

The helmet was made during WW2 as stated. The liner is also a WW2 liner painted Navy Gray. OK we got the obvious out of the way, now let’s look at the other questions. Both Helmet and liner are Navy but based on the condition of the inside of the helmet and the condition of the outside of the liner am leaning to a put together set. The stripe along the bottom of the helmet is really nice but it is and will be hard to nail it down to a time frame, The US navy painted helmets for every job you could think of.
    You picked up a good salty swivel loop navy helmet and it will display well with any WW2 setup.

Sorry to not be much help but some things will not always have answers.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Again thxs for the reply's
    The helmet was found 15 years ago in a car boot sale near the french border. On the stall,the outer shell and inner helmet where not put together. According to the stall owner, they where found together. The inner helmet is I think late war. Correct me if I'm wrong. Some say post war, others wartime. Regards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2