Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US navy M1 helmet

Article about: Hi guys this is the latest addition to my M1 collection. This particular helmet was manufactured by Ingersoll Products and they produced the steel body from 1965 to 1967. The liner is from t

Default US navy M1 helmet

Hi guys this is the latest addition to my M1 collection. This particular helmet was manufactured by Ingersoll Products and they produced the steel body from 1965 to 1967. The liner is from the model 55 production range (very hard to come by) and is a Firestone liner. The liner has the mold in mark of 104 then an F (Firestone brand without the shield) and the number 62 which is the production year 1962. The last contract awarded for the model 55 liner was issued in 1963 to Firestone before the start of the nylon range of liners took over in 1964. The headband is an early 1960s contract mark and the nape strap having a 1967 date. All the straps for the liner and the helmet have the Anchor buckle stamp marks. The helmet as a whole has that level of rusting associated with exposure to sea conditions which is very similar to my other navy M1. Thanks for looking guys .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US navy M1 helmet   US navy M1 helmet  

US navy M1 helmet   US navy M1 helmet  

US navy M1 helmet  

Very nice! A very interesting piece

nice m1, ive got one just like that with the liner painted the same color as the pot and "344" painted on the back.

Is the 344 on the helmet or the liner? Have you posted pics of it on this forum?

nice find ian and well displayed

it is on te rear of the pot, do you have any idea what it means?
    Attached Images Attached Images US navy M1 helmet  US navy M1 helmet 

From what I have read and learned about these M1s it is more than likely a gun position number. If you think how many guns there are on a big fighting ship it makes sense.

yes thats what i thought, and if you look closely at the second picture there is a yellow insignia on the front in the shape of a trapezoid. i still havent figured out what that was

It could've been a symbol to say he was in charge of a section of guns like an AA battery. Who knows though as I have seen many markings on helmets and unless generic to all helmets I'm afraid they will never be known but it's nice to speculate

yes it is thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast