Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Usmc m1

Article about: Hi guys here I have a USMC helmet with owners name and history. This was an amazing find on eBay and still can not believe it’s mine. The helmet is a front seam fixed bale McCord. The stamp

Default Usmc m1

Hi guys here I have a USMC helmet with owners name and history. This was an amazing find on eBay and still can not believe it’s mine. The helmet is a front seam fixed bale McCord. The stamp number is not easy to see and all I can make out and what I can see with the naked eye is 68C or 68G and so potentially dates this to roughly December 1941 January 1942. The liner also WW2 and is made by Firestone and has the green coated triangular washers which puts manufacture between early 1943 to mid 1944. The frog skin cover is made by Blue Anchor Overall Co. Inc and dated 29 April 1953. As you can see on the helmet cover and the liner his name are on both.
    That’s the technical stuff done, now for the Marine who owned this. His name was Mackie Gene Finlay and was born 8th February 1944. PFC Finlay of India Co. 3/3 3rd Platoon and his Tour Date of Vietnam was from 9th August 1965 to 22nd May 1966. From what I have read his unit was in Okinawa and was mobilised for deployment to Vietnam for Operation Starlite. I have read into India Co. involvement during this operation and they were there with 5500 other Marines to destroy the 1st VC regiment and the threat on Chu Lai Air Base and was the first all US military battle of the war. There was some very intense fighting which resulted in the death of 51 marines and 203 wounded. I’m still searching for more information and hope to find more about Mackie Gene Finlay.
    Mackie Gene Finlay died 12th September 2015 under sad circumstances. He apparently suffered from PTSD and relied on a care taker to look after him. Apparently from what I have read the care taker had abused him and his death was later classed as a homicide. Very sad end to a man who gave his all to his country
    Semper Fi and RIP Mackie.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Usmc m1   Usmc m1  

Usmc m1   Usmc m1  

Usmc m1   Usmc m1  

Usmc m1   Usmc m1  

Usmc m1   Usmc m1  

Last edited by Redstalker; 02-17-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Ooops forgot to post a pic of the helmet shell
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Usmc m1  

Fantastic, dont cram it in with others would great displayed with personal info, or just give it to me.

Amazing that they utilized a fixed bale M1 in Viet Nam. But then again...why not ? If they were available 20-25 years later in useable condition, liners too, it would be reasonable.

Thanks for sharing. most interesting

Quote by real steel View Post
    Amazing that they utilized a fixed bale M1 in Viet Nam. But then again...why not ? If they were available 20-25 years later in useable condition, liners too, it would be reasonable.

Thanks for sharing. most interesting
    Thanks real steel I did have a lot more pics of WW2 helmets being used in Vietnam but for some reason I can only find the one and here it is for you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Usmc m1  

Thanks
    Again...who knows. One would think the old fixed bale M1 shell & liner would have been used up in Korea. But the US got involved with Viet Nam in 1962, not long after WW2 & Korea. These must have been surplused & stockpiled then re-issued.
    Has the shell been repainted post WW2 ? Looks like it has been

Yeah definitely been repainted as the colour on the outside is completely different to the inside

Quote by real steel View Post
    Thanks
    Again...who knows. One would think the old fixed bale M1 shell & liner would have been used up in Korea. But the US got involved with Viet Nam in 1962, not long after WW2 & Korea. These must have been surplused & stockpiled then re-issued.
    Has the shell been repainted post WW2 ? Looks like it has been
    Pics of outside and inside paint
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Usmc m1   Usmc m1  

Last edited by Redstalker; 02-17-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Great set and info Ian,another beauty out of the bag for us to dribble over,it's mind boggling just how long some of these Helmet sets stayed within the military.totally recylable items if only they could speak.well done also on the research side of the owner...........

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Great set and info Ian,another beauty out of the bag for us to dribble over,it's mind boggling just how long some of these Helmet sets stayed within the military.totally recylable items if only they could speak.well done also on the research side of the owner...........
    If I told you I won this little gem for £104 and with the postage and import costs it came to £182. Still bargains to be found on eBay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast