Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USMC M1 helmet paint?

Article about: Yes quite rare, and command a fairly high price. Post some pics when you have time. Best Regards, Andy

?

Thumbs up USMC M1 helmet paint?

Hi, ive been looking at some usmc m1 helmets and they look like they were painted a much darker green than other helmets. all the m1 helmet paint out there looks like the same shade of olive drab. If youve seen the pacific, their helmets are painted the exact shade that im talking about. If anyone knows where to get this please respond. Ill post some pictures to show you.
    Attached Images Attached Images USMC M1 helmet paint?  USMC M1 helmet paint? 
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Default Re: USMC M1 helmet paint?

There is no way to identify a plain M1 shell as a Marine helmet. Sorry

?

SteveR is correct, there was no special paint scheme for the USMC M1's. M1's come in many shades due to repaints, (especially in the ETO) the weather conditions in which they were used, and the amount of use they had.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Last edited by aj4010; 07-11-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Ok, thanks it just looks darker than all other helmet paint. I think i found it on rapco parts. its 24052 Semi-Gloss Marine Corps Forest Green.Attachment 370251

?

Looking at that colour, as regards helmets it is more like an ETO overpaint than a PTO issue. Here are two I have. The first one is a very early issue pot, and was probably issued fror Guadalcanal. It is posted somewhere here where this was established.
    The second one it an ETO overpaint (that is heavily weathered) a colour which was used through the Korean war too. This is much darker in shade and looks more like the colour you are refering to.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USMC M1 helmet paint?   USMC M1 helmet paint?  

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Wow thanks Andy, thats excactly what color I was thinking of. But why would all those people go through all the trouble of repainting their helmets? Nice fibre liner tho, looks like its in great condition too

?

Quote by 022797 View Post
    Wow thanks Andy, thats excactly what color I was thinking of. But why would all those people go through all the trouble of repainting their helmets? Nice fibre liner tho, looks like its in great condition too
    Individual soldiers rarely painted their own helmets, they were usually returned to the depot where they were refurbed and repainted. This was in the ETO though.
    Here is a link that Nick kindly provided on my thread "First Pics."
    Stock Footage - A man cleaning and repainting helmets of US soldiers piled up on the ground in the European Theater.
    So, the colour on the fibre liner lid above is more indicitive of a USMC helmet than the one below it. There are always exceptions though.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

That is just a rediculous amount of helmets. Thanks for the info Andy. I have another question, I have an early Westinghouse liner with the normal khaki fabric and steel a washers but the sweatband is one of the snap in ones you find on rayon liners. I don’t have a camera to post pictures unfortunately but Ive been looking around and never seen anything like it. Did they ever mix and match parts? Like use old stock?

?

Is it one like this? These were designed that way. I have some with the later crocodile clip sweatbands clipped over the press studs, so yes they did mix and match that way.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USMC M1 helmet paint?  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Thats excacly what it looks like, so im guessing their rare? Thanks, for the quick replies youve been so helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast