Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Vietnam era camo m1 helmet?

Article about: I picked this helmet up today for the cool factor. The helmet has a light sand finish and so does the liner. The heat stamp is hard to make out but it is a ww2 issue helmet. The liner is sta

MAP
    ?

Marty,

Post #8, Last Photo.

just above the rim edge there is some rust. The camo paint however is not sprayed into the rust area leading me to thing that the camo was applied prior to the rust flaking off the paint.

A good sign to me. But who know when/why the camo was painted.

Just a few observations.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    On closer examination it is not crayon it is paint. I do not know if that's a good thing or bad thing, there is wear to some of the paint.
    Two thoughts -

1) The red ( and pink ) if not crayon may be coloured pencil done by a kid of the era .....? ( looks like the kid was halfway through when caught vandalizing it )

2) If you needed a Tiger cammo and didn't have a cover handy, paint one on!!

Both plausible IMO.
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images Vietnam era camo m1 helmet? 
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I was hoping it was crayon but it is paint or fingernail polish.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    I probably duplicated pictures.
    "Posted on another forum & did not like the paint, but no other reason given". You know....anyone can give a negative on a camo helmet, including my wife. All one has to say is "It looks fake" !! That's it. No other explanation needed. The real talent is from the one who says..."Looks good to me"...because then he has to explain why. That's how one distinguishes the jokers from the experienced ones.

MAP
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    "Posted on another forum & did not like the paint, but no other reason given". You know....anyone can give a negative on a camo helmet, including my wife. All one has to say is "It looks fake" !! That's it. No other explanation needed. The real talent is from the one who says..."Looks good to me"...because then he has to explain why. That's how one distinguishes the jokers from the experienced ones.
    Amen!!!!

Couldn't agree more David. State your view and give a reason why. For me I am 100% happy for my analysis to be proven wrong. It just make us better the next time.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Pics for David
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam era camo m1 helmet?   Vietnam era camo m1 helmet?  

Quote by real steel View Post
    That is the issue on another forum with a few members quote from one was " I do not like it 1 bit"
    I asked what it was what he did not like about it, his response was "the paint" and that was it. Another member said "it was fake and had a rust wash on the top" with no further details. I do not mean any disrespect to those members but a response with no explanation can destroy a good helmet because of the doubt it renders to the helmet.
    The helmet is getting postive feedback from others and I respect and welcome all replies.
    I know we all like/love this hobby and enjoy helping others but I really meant it when i tell each of you thank you. You are busy with your life and family and I do not take it for granted when you share a few and sometimes a lot of moments helping me.

Marty

Just one negative on a forum, even from a fool in regards to a camo can be deadly. It can cast a slight doubt even to a believer. Then guys start looking & thinking differently about it. That's why I am showing your helmet to non-forum collectors so there is no interference & no subjection to biased opinions

Post #16 shows the two colour enhancements. The pink line actually does look like it was painted. But the pattern of the red line looks not like brush work but a hard colour stick rubbed into the surface, such as would happen with crayon or coloured pencil. I still think it was the pesty sister who did it, but the original camo effect does look it could date back to the 1970s/80's, as MAP points out rusted areas happened after painting.

Still reckon the cammo is legit and the enhancement done by a child later. Try a swap of methylated spirit on the paint - if it IS wax based it will come off.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast