Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam era M1 ??

Article about: Dear fellow collectors, I recently came across this m1 helmet. it looks like a vietnam era issue..but I'm not sure as postwar helmets are not my collection area. However, I'm very curious ab

Default Vietnam era M1 ??

Dear fellow collectors,

I recently came across this m1 helmet. it looks like a vietnam era issue..but I'm not sure as postwar helmets are not my collection area. However, I'm very curious about the markings on the shell.
    Does anyone know if this is a vietnam issued m1 and what the markings mean?
    Vietnam era M1 ??
    Vietnam era M1 ??
    Vietnam era M1 ??

I think and not for sure but I believe the markings are tactical markings for training propose but I am not sure if the meaning. I would like to see the markings on the flap of the cover and the inside of the liner.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

I have two photo's of the inside of the liner (what is left of it). I'm still awaiting a photo of the markings from the cover, will post it a.s.p.

Vietnam era M1 ??
    Vietnam era M1 ??

A photo of the markings in the liner and on the cover. As far as I can read:

Liner soldiers steel helmet
    M-1 ??fantry type ?
    29 sept 66 ???????? 17
    Vietnam era M1 ??

cover ???????????
    DSA100-76 ?????
    8415-00-105 ???
    mpls. soc. f/t blind inc.
    Vietnam era M1 ??

If that number is a 76 it is a post Vietnam war cover. The helmet,liner and cover will make a good example for a US m1 Vietnam era collection. You will never know how long these pieces have been together and if they are even original to one another.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Pretty sure Woodland pattern didn't come onto the scene until the 1980's way post Vietnam.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Pretty sure Woodland pattern didn't come onto the scene until the 1980's way post Vietnam.
    That is correct but this isn't Woodland, but the earlier ERDL-pattern that was first fielded as a test in 1969.

The liner is made by a company called Marmac Industries Inc and is Vietnam era 1966. The cover is post war and looks like a late 70s contract. The steel helmet is not a US helmet as they did not stamp serial numbers on the rim. It’s a Euro Clone M1 and probably either Dutch, Belgium or one of the Scandinavian countries.

Thanks everybody for the help!
    The stamping on the rim already came to me as "suspicious". Thanks for the clarification!

I don't understand why people try to sell stuff without first informing themselves about the originality of it (deliberately or not)...too bad.

I don't understand why people try to sell stuff without first informing themselves about the originality of it (deliberately or not)...too bad.[/QUOTE]
    That's because most don't give a S... who they rob blind as long as there making money.............