Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam era M1 with helmet radio

Article about: Hi guys here I have a Vietnam war era M1 that is fitted with a AN/PRR-9 helmet receiver. The receiver also comes with it's AN/PRT-4 transmitter both receiver and transmitter have contract nu

Default Vietnam era M1 with helmet radio

Hi guys here I have a Vietnam war era M1 that is fitted with a AN/PRR-9 helmet receiver. The receiver also comes with it's AN/PRT-4 transmitter both receiver and transmitter have contract numbers which date them to 1967. From what I have read about these radio sets, the PRT-4 and PRR-9 worked together as an attempt at a simple, lightweight Squad radio, albeit one-way. First fielded in Vietnam by the U.S. Army in March 1967, the idea was to extend an infantry platoon and/or squad leaders’ command and control beyond verbal, hand signals and personal contact communications. They cost around $1100 per set in 1967 which in today's money would be a hell a lot They were apparently not liked by the troops in Vietnam as they broke down a lot due to rainy and atmospheric conditions. Troops tended not to wear the receiver on the helmet and wore them on their uniform.
    The helmet is manufactured by Ingersol with the heat stamp of 1-6214 and produced from 1966 to 1967. The liner has a production date of 31 MAY 1967 and is marked in the crown M 30 and stamped on the webbing in black ink the number 30 which identifies it as a MARMAC made liner. The Mitchell cover has the contract details that date it to late 1964 to early 1965.
    Thanks for looking guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam era M1 with helmet radio   Vietnam era M1 with helmet radio  

Vietnam era M1 with helmet radio   Vietnam era M1 with helmet radio  

Vietnam era M1 with helmet radio  

Ian the set looks superb and well displayed too i may add ,Nice informative write up on It's use and failings too and very interesting to read
    Regards James

As James has already said, it is truly a nice ensemble, and thank you for this detailed and well-documented information!

Roberto

MAP
    ?

Would not want that radio blaring at the wrong time and giving away your position....LoL

But a great set! Congrats.
    Last edited by MAP; 03-25-2017 at 10:09 PM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Would want that radio blaring at the wrong time and giving away your position....LoL

But a great set! Congrats.
    It could also be used with an ear piece to cut down on noise